Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need part numbers for an old timer

ScottNC ยท 2017-04-13 10:45

Once again.... '67 D4D Cat 78A7177. Boy, it seems like I've typed that a lot. Local Cat house is having trouble coming up with part numbers for the clutch oil pump-to-clutch-cover gasket and the clutch oil screen-(two needed)-to-clutch-cover gasket. The old machines are not in their computer, so they have to go up two stories to a cinder block room with poor light, no heat or A/C to find PN's on micro fiche. True. While I'm here, does anyone have a good idea for flushing the misc. bits of clutch stuff from around where the screen goes in the bottom of the clutch housing? Sticking a finger in there and scrounging around has proven painful. Through the pump opening maybe?

Replies12
  1. #1DMiller2017-04-13 11:03

    Diesel fuel in a pump oil can to spray inside the opening and allow to drain out?

  2. #2Old Magnet2017-04-13 11:24

    You need one of these.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpillar...693985?hash=item2123cf1261:g:1rcAAOSwopRYkj7s

  3. #3ScottNC2017-04-13 11:58

    Yes, yes I do.

  4. #4ScottNC2017-04-13 12:05

    Compressed air at the machine is an issue, a suction gun on an air hose was my first choice. You made me think though, A spray bottle may be enough to loosen what I'm after. Not much in there but would like to give a clean screen a chance. Random bits of brass wire from the clutch are acting like fish hooks on (in) my fingers.

  5. #5ScottNC2017-04-13 12:57

    Cat parts called w/no.'s 6K6552 (screen) and 6K5892 (pump) but are concerned they may not be correct. The 6K5892 picture they were working from was not correct but then, the picture may have been generic. update: The 6K6552 from what I can find online is incorrect.

  6. #6kshansen2017-04-13 14:57

    Not 100% sure but think these might help you: Thinking the pair of gaskets you need are the 8H9501 above and the screen is in red 7H2304. Then the pump gasket in the lower left is a 1H8266 Sorry about the resolution Cat does not do too good a job when they scan them in for SIS on the old machines.

  7. #7ScottNC2017-04-13 15:35

    Thanks KS, Glad you could make out the pump gasket number, even with magnification all I could decrypt was the screen gasket. Have already called them in to the Cat house, hope they have or can get 'em. Again, thanks!

  8. #8kshansen2017-04-13 19:01

    Had o do some playing around to find that info. As Cat does not show the 78A S/N on SIS, but I picked one of the other D4D Direct drive prefixes and then once I found the numbers I thought might be what you needed I did a NPR search on them and in the list of Prefixes they fit the 78A is one that shows up. So having done it that way I'm some what comfortable giving you the numbers. My wife likes to do SUDUKU puzzles but I enjoy doing these kind of things more!

  9. #9kshansen2017-04-13 19:06

    Checked with local dealer and looks like all the items are available in a day or two from them, Cat does like that screen alot! They want about $135.00 for that the gaskets go for either $2.50 or $3.50 each. Oh, and if you do plane on keeping this machine for any time the book Old Magnet sent the link for would be the first thing I would be ordering!

  10. #10ScottNC2017-04-13 21:19

    KS, Many thanks. Doing a search on the numbers you came up with led to Amazon, there a CTP add had pictures that verified they were indeed the gaskets I was looking for. Interesting that CTP wanted $8-9 for each gasket, adding freight upped the bill to over $36 while Cat wanted the about $9 for all three combined and no freight! A replacement clutch oil pump is on the way. Next week a semi-retired Cat mechanic, old enough to have worked on my machine when it was current is going to look things over. Depending on his verdict the clutch either comes out for inspection/repair or we're ready to push a bit of dirt from our basement excavation down to where it can be reached by a track loader and dump truck. It's been a good week, found a set of 75% tracks for $2K delivered from the NW. Waiting on pictures.

  11. #11pp13bnos2017-04-14 09:56

    Is this a business or a private party? My D3 is in need of a undercarriage badly. Cat and Berco want more for the undercarriage than the bucket of bolts is worth. Its hard to justify that on something I used about 60hrs last year.

  12. #12kshansen2017-04-14 10:22

    Well if it's a 1967 it would have been one year old when I started work in the quarry, took a couple years to move into the shop and that only lasted till 2015! Strange on the prices some outfits want for parts!