Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need pony motor D4

George D Spencer ยท 2019-03-24 12:21

51 car d4 needs pony motor or is there another way to start.

Replies7
  1. #1Ronsii2019-03-24 13:48

    Pull start.....

  2. #2George D Spencer2019-03-24 19:37

    Did not know thank you any tricks? Both tracks free was stuck now rolls, low gear?

  3. #3DIYDAVE2019-03-24 19:52

    I think there are conversions out there, to go electric. Don't know if they qualify fer federal matching funds, or deductions... http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.php?11327-D4-Pony-Motor-to-Electric-Start-conversion

  4. #4Ronsii2019-03-24 19:58

    high gear to get the motor spinning, I've seen guys do this with other dozers and graders when they have something big enough to pull it... but I don't know for sure how the d4 will react. Just be ready to declutch when it fires off.

  5. #5Delmer2019-03-24 22:04

    ACMOC is the place to go for antique Cat advice, those pony motors work fine when they work. There's tricks to anything, and they'll be able to tell you how to rebuild your pony motor, or what's wrong with it, or how to do the electric conversion. If it was me, I'd copy the Amish and rig a honda pony motor starter on it, but only if your pony motor is gone, or unsalvageable. IF you pull start it, be prepared to shut if off as many ways as possible, in case the clutches are stuck. Have the calm, experienced operator on the one you're pulling.

  6. #6TomA2019-03-25 10:11

    I have 2 D4's that have been living on hills. They will start in 5th gear with just a short roll. Get it turning over and just a whiff of starting fluid.

  7. #7Birken Vogt2019-03-25 11:36

    Wasn't there someone on here that did a Predator engine (Honda clone) pony conversion?