Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slop/excesive movment in blade

tantoy · 2019-03-24 12:04

Question for someone that is a proficient dozer operator. I have a new to me Komatsu D21 small dozer. It has a fair bit of slop in the blade due to normal ware in the pins, and I have a hard time keeping a smooth grade when finishing. I have had zero experience running a dozer in the past. I do run a mini excavator for my work and it has a lot of slop in the pins and the quick connect bucket ,but I can grade, dig around utilities ect with great accuracy. So for a good operator on a dozer, how important is it to you to have good tight pins in the blade?

Replies6
  1. #1buckfever2019-03-24 17:01

    It takes time but you’ll get use to it. I’ve found that carrying some extra dirt on the blade when grading help hold things a little tighter.

  2. #2catman132019-03-24 22:38

    I found that if I angle the blade some it helps also , like said above some dirt also

  3. #3John Canfield2019-03-25 08:51

    Even with 50 hours in the seat of my former D39P-1 I had a very difficult time trying to finish grade with it, also short track length will make it more of a challenge for you. You develop a seat of the pants feel after some period of time which I didn't have when I sold it. Having seat time with my dozer didn't help any with learning to operate my mini-ex and probably the reverse is true as well.

  4. #4Tinkerer2019-03-25 11:28

    I ran one of those sorry excuses for a dozer several times. A real b###h to finish grade with after running John Deeres and Caterpillars. If I remember correctly the blade control was backwards from all other brands of dozers in the US. Push the blade lever forward and the blade would rise. WTH ???

  5. #5check2019-03-25 13:22

    My 1966 D4D has a ton of slop in the blade. When I grade, I just chain the blade into the position I need.

  6. #6Bls repair2019-03-29 18:06

    A lot dozers have shims to take out to tighten the blade up.