I love this site.You guys and dolls helped me on my BIL's dipper cyl. rebuild.Now one of the the outrigger cylinders on his 580SK is leaking out of the rod.Do you leave it on the tractor or remove it to rebuild it?
I always leave cylinders mounted whenever it's practicle, and an outrigger certainly is. You have to secure any cyl to turn the gland and screw it out, having it attached to the machine is the best anchor to secure it. The problem you may have with an outrigger cyl will be the pin that attaches the rod eye to the outrigger, those pins have the knack of being the worst stuck pins anywhere on a machine. I've had some that just fall out, and I've had others that I could roast a hot dog over it after heating it enough to get it out.
I'll second ATCOEQUIP . Outrigger cylinders have got to be the meanest to work on. Glands come off hard, bent rods don't help either. Water gets in past the dirt wiper and rusts the gland where the wiper seal sits. On the older backhoes it is often easier to get the pin out at the base of the cylinder, and pull it off the rod after unscrewing the gland. Phil
Newbie here, Can you use the same seal change process on a 580SE 4x4? Thanks, Doug
JUD: Exact same process.
gggraham, Thanks for the info. I hope to do battle with the cylinder soon. Doug