I am thinking of starting my own business well sort of. I previously owned and operated a small concrete construction company for about 7 years. A long with the company I had an excavator, track loader, back hoe, roller, and dump truck none of which I used in conjunction with my company mostly just to do work around the farm. I really enjoyed using the machines but have since sold them and relocated to Dallas, TX. Since I really enjoyed working that equipment I wanted to start my own excavation company but I do not know enough about operating and estimating jobs. I was wondering if it would be crazy for me to try and find a local company to learn the ropes from and if an owner would be willing to teach me as much as they could about what they know. Having owned a business before I know what it takes to be the owner so I am not afraid of work and not belittled by having to do things that are not outlined in a job title. I am not planning on staying in the Dallas area to start my business so it would not be a conflict of interest for someone to train me and think they are training a competitor. I plan on moving in about 5 years so I will still be around long enough for the contractor to benefit from my employment. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
No replies yet.