Hi ! I have a very young John-Deere 690-B ( 1980 8,542 hrs) that have a little problem with the traction , one of the track is reacting a lot slower than the other, so I removed the suposely faulty motor and brought it to an hydraulic repair shop (which is more than well equipped to perform tests) , the guy says that the motor is in top shape , I have no clog hoses , the hoses are not jerking all around when I'm traveling with the machine , All other hydraulic fonctions are performing very well , bucket curl-in curl-out , crowd-in crowd-out , boom up boom down , swing right left and all around goes very good , the pump doesn't seem at fault because when I work hard with the boom crowd and or bucket I can hear the motor slowing down which is normal so my question is : is there anyone who could have a clue about what is going on please ? thank you !
Possibly seals bad in center swivel.
I second the center swivel. VC
I owned a 1984 690b for 15 years or so. My tracks always acted as you say. One side engaged immediately and the other followed a few seconds later and usually ran a little slower. When we bought it, the dealer tried to fix it without luck. I've spoken to two other 690b owners with the same problem. We were told it's just how they are. It was always a pain always making slow turns and having correct all the time. Other than that the machine was a working fool. Always started right up and never any major problems. PS we realed the center swivel as it was leaking abit. It didn't help the problem.
HI ! oarwhat , you state that you check with others and you were told that the machine is simply LIKE THAT !!! schmock this is deceiving because I had both my travel motor changed the seals in them and my next step was the rotary manifold to be check for leaks !! so reading what you are writing gives me some chivers as what should I do now , cause 5 minute ago a read that the same problem was from quote "Many man hours and $7000.00 later with the new motors installed, there was no change in performance. It later was determined to be a hydraulic valve solenoid. " so now I'm getting more confuse !!!! thank you for the information
I think when the machines were brand new it couldn't have acted like this or no one would buy them. Maybe they'll fix it. I just ran into the guy Saturday that told me his did the same thing when he owned one years ago. I'd like to hear what caused it if you get it fixed. Good luck
Hi ! Right now I looked all over my parts book and repair book and I can't find SOLENOID on any valves !! I have the model with the mecanical handles and linkage . so all the hydraulics pluger are actuated by a mecanical link so I have no clue where a solenoid would be , the guy who wrote about the solenoid is unreachable ( he is on e-bay but I can't send any e-mail or whatever request cause it seem that is user-id is blocking e-mails (schmock)) . I still looking for answers in the mean time as soon asI receive the motors fixed I have a road test and try to find-out if it helps , if yes then houray , if not than back to investigation .
Make sure the rods from you levers or foot controls are adjusted equally, also look for loose pins at connection to valve body. If your track motor does not cure your problem and you have checked and adjusted the linkages I think you really left with a pump or center swivel problem.
Thank you for the tips , but why would you suspect the pump if all the other hydraulics function are working properly ?? I could understand for the rotary manifold (aka center swivel) , but the pump maybe but I don't understand why !
Do you have access to a flow meter? If so you could determine where your problem is with it. Check the flow from the valve. If they are the same left and right then check the flow going to your motors after the rotate coupler. If your slow side has a reducded flow then you have leakage in your coupler. JJ
Hi ! Traction motors are back after reseal them !! the traction goes a lot better but I found two other problems that can weaken my traction . 1- loose grouser pad 2- 3 roller seach side not rotating at all !! 3- hydro. oil flow check . (remember the Lady was parked for 3 years witout any care whatsoever )
I would first Make sure the rods from you levers or foot controls are adjusted and traveling freely, I have had this problem before and it sounds like other folks have changed pumps and motors and still have the problems so its worth a check really good. good luck
Hi ! beckco909 , the linkage had been checked twice , and they seems to me to fully travel up and down cause when I put the pedal completly on both ways ( up & down) and then use a small prybar to find out if the plunger would go further and noting happened so my guess is that since even with the prybar the plunger don't go any further neither up nor down then I'd say the travel is ok , I might be wrong here cause I'm not a very experience mecanics . thank you for all tips and or informations you guys provides me !!!!
Hi ! here is the answer of the guy who bought two brand new motor and the traction problem was not fixed ! here is was they did : Our solution wound up being the TWO speed solenoid. It is about the only electric thing on the machine, everything else is manual operation. The solenoid engaged the HI & LOW track speeds. It was about $200.00 for the part, but it was a pretty small part for the money. Must have been the JD that made it cost more... There was nothing wrong with these motors, it was the 2 speed solenoid. Hope this helps. Mine are working on both speed but one is slower than the other , so I don't know if the TWO solenoid could do any arm ???? still puzzled !!!
I see alot of talk about leaking swivel seals. Where does it leak? Is it a visible leak on the ground? Is there a place to pressure check before the swivel and after the swivel to determine the swivel is leaking?
My 2 speed does not work. I wonder if Cat has a 2 speed solenoid, and where it would be located?
Hi ! my 2 speed is working fine , I just came back from vacation and I will double check the leaks on the rotary manifold ,but it leaks slowly as far as I can see right now , it seems that there is now pressure check point adapter so I would have to remove the hoses and connect a flow meter in there big job !!! keep you posted ,
Hello I am new to the forum so cant start a new thread so hope its alright to post here. I need some advice on removing a centre joint (swival/rotary joint) on a Daewoo Solar 220 mk3. what is the procedure removing joint?, has the boom got to be in a certain possition?, ive been told that you need to dig a hole under the excavator or place it across a ditch so that you can get to it underneath is that right?. Has anyone got any pictures on the removal or videos etc I cant seem to find any. Also whats it like re sealing the shaft is it an awkward job? Thanks for your time gme75
Hi ! there is no real test port I would have to remove the hoses and put a flow gauge in beetween to find out if it is really leaking a lot cause I know for sur that on the bottom part of the Rotary there is a leak , but yes I can see somme oil on the ground but I saw two other places where it leaks and I can fix that before doing any other things on the rotary manifold but the two other places where it leaks are not related at all with the traction , so that is why I still believe that the Rotary might be the culprit ! It is pretty complicated to diagnose the real problem !
The rotary swivel joint doesnt have to be leaking out on the ground but can leak internally there by causing loss of power to the track motors, also seized up rollers and idlers will make not to walk straight, Seen one of our PC300s that was not travelling straight and found the idler on that side was flogged out. Cheers RDG.
Hi ! My tracks are very sound , the rollers two , and both traction( propel ) motor have been completely refurbished ! so I see 3 thing : 1- internal collaspse of the hose 2- conterbalance valve cloged or leaking 3- rotary manifold leaking the hydraulic pump works good cause all the other hydraulic are fucntionning very well !
The way to check the rotary manifold is to take off either both right hand or both left hand main hoses from the top of the rotary manifold. Plug the hoses with the appropriate hydraulic plug. Leave the fittings on the rotary manifold open. Then stall out the other side that you still have hooked up in both directions. If you get oil coming out of the open ports then you have seals leaking and you need repairs to the manifold. Do the test with warm oil. I don't have a picture/diagram of how the oil flows but if you found one then this test would make sense.
Hi ! KenAl , when you say STALL OUT the other side you mean to not make the track rotate , isn'it ? if so then I don't understand well cause the track are allways is STOP mode unless yuo activate the pedal forward or backward . let me write what I understand ( english is my second tongue) . so my left side seems slow , so I will undo both LEFT SIDE hoses and put a cap to seal them both, then make the right side track rotate , thus if the LEFT SIDE rotary port are leaking I have a problem .
Yes, try to move the track but force it not to. By either sticking something in the sprocket to prevent it from moving or what i usually do is to jam the edge of the bucket into the front of the track pad. You might even have a pile of dirt you can run it up to and the tracks will stall. I missed the fact that you had one side slow. That would most likely be another problem. This is only to test the seals in the Rotary manifold. let me write what I understand ( english is my second tongue) . so my left side seems slow , so I will undo both LEFT SIDE hoses and put a cap to seal them both, (Plug on the hoses) then make the right side track rotate , thus if the LEFT SIDE rotary port are leaking I have a problem . (Correct)
I will try that anyway , you know where I'm right now I have to try everything !! regards
From what I have been reading on here a hoe that old needs to have the rotary valve rebuilt just to rule out more costly other fixes. Seems labor removing it is the biggest expence and since I do most all my own," I work cheap", I plan on doing it this winter.