Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need some info on International dump trucks

GFMotorsports ยท 2012-09-27 18:47

After extensive search via google I could not come up with any info or reliability data on international dump trucks. Most specifically I'm looking to buy a 1981 International S1800 single axle dump with a 404 gas V8. 5 speed with 2 speed read end. I figure fuel mileage will be bad but it really won't be driven much. Any info for anyone would help a lot. Thanks!

Replies8
  1. #1Birken Vogt2012-09-27 19:43

    The truck is very old but International is still in business (for the time being anyway) unlike a lot of other manufacturers so your chances of finding parts and service are a lot better. I can't really think of a better choice in a medium duty than International. But it will still act a lot like an old truck.

  2. #2GFMotorsports2012-09-27 20:03

    This particular truck only have 67k on the odometer and is really clean. I just wanted to know if this thing will be a dog and cost me a fortune in parts when they go bad. Thanks for the info bud

  3. #3Jim Dandy2012-09-27 21:17

    I had an 88 International with a DT360 and a 5 speed with a 2 speed rear axle. It was a good durable truck but boy was it underpowered. Very sluggish and the I didn't like the trans or the 2 speed rear axle. Parts availability and cost was not an issue. I had the truck about 10 years ago. The gas engine may pull better than the DT 360.

  4. #4GFMotorsports2012-10-01 20:11

    Yeh I am thinking since ill only put like 3k miles a year the gas engine won't beat me up to much. And maybe ill swap in a big diesel at some point if I need the extra power. I figured with the 2 speed rear end it wouldn't be to bad. Thanks for the input fella.

  5. #5Willis Bushogin2012-10-01 20:55

    If I bought a gas dump truck, it would have to run great and be very cheap Air brakes or hydraulic brakes? I bought like a 75 International, with hydraulic brakes, it cost me something like $2000 to fix the brakes. The truck had been sitting up and the brakes were Bad I bought a 85 International tandem, diesel DT466, air brakes, great truck

  6. #6GFMotorsports2012-10-01 20:58

    Hydro brakes. It has low miles for a 81 so not to sure if the brake system has been addressed at all. Would like to stay under the cdl limit cause well I don't have one. I'm working on getting my class b CDL

  7. #7Birken Vogt2012-10-01 22:27

    I would be OK with a gas engine for only 3000 miles a year, in fact it might be a better choice due to the lower initial cost, but the juice brakes would make me want to run away.

  8. #8GFMotorsports2012-10-01 22:41

    That was my thought. As I grow as a business (and aquire my CDL) I will look for a diesel dump for sure. All diesel is the way to go I feel