Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need some new tires, 2014 CAT 430. Bonus question is what chains and where to get ’em?

Compression-Ignition ยท 2023-09-07 14:48

My 2 from tires have plenty of tread, but they have been leaking down on me all year. Had a little trouble with one of them the year before. much slower leak then. One of my rears is still useable, but it's basically done. They are all mismatched. 2 fronts looks the same but are from different manufactures. 2 rears are different. Anyhow I want a new set of matching tires. My backhoe lives on our property and does not venture anywhere else. The terrain on our little 10 acre parcel is kind of high desert-ish. Tons of decomposing granite just below the surface. About 3 acres of pasture. Bunch of trees and maybe 60' of elevation change. When it rains the thin areas of dirt turn into a lovely peanut butter mud. The thick spots haunt me lol. I end up creating a bunch of boulders everywhere. Some of them disintegrate and some are...hard as a rock...ba dum tsss. I'll be clearing trees and garbage for a while yet so I end up driving all over various debris. I'd like a really tough tire. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Whether that be lessons learned and brands to stay away from or good experiences. There are a lot of options out there and it would be nice to weed some of them out. Current tire size is 19.5L-24 and 12.5/80-18 I'm not saying money is no object, but quality will trump price if I can swing it/justify it. Top tier in my mind is a Michelin, but I've never bought an agricultural or construction equipment type tire before so I don't know what I don't know. Help appreciated! I'm also in need of some chains. I had to get a delivery here at the property last winter and went for a ride on some ice. Did not enjoy the pucker factor. Considering having these wheels cleaned up an powder coated. Not for any sort of cool factor but to help them last longer. I do see rust on them.

Replies3
  1. #1Compression-Ignition2023-09-07 14:54

    These tread patterns have been fine, but if you like something else upload a pic if you please.

  2. #2heymccall2023-09-07 15:49

    I have BKT tires on the back of all my backhoes. No issues. Whatever you do, do NOT put Goodyear tires on the rear. 3 '98 and 2 '05 backhoes bought new...5 outta 6 blew out at the inner bead area before half worn. Goodyear offered Zero help. Double Coin and Triangle tires on our wheel loaders all cracked severely in same area, near inner bead, but never blew out.

  3. #3Compression-Ignition2023-09-08 14:25

    Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards those BKT's pretty hard, but I kept getting hung up trying to source the heavier load rated ones. I just bit the bullet a moment ago on some Michelins... That was spendy. But I figure they are just about a lifetime purchase for me so I might as well get the good stuff...specs are good anyway.