Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need some purchasing advice

Roddd ยท 2015-10-11 17:35

All, While I feel like I've learned a great deal from reading what you guys routinely post, I'd like to run something past you. I have about 40 acres of chaparral brush I'd like to clear from my property. The terrain is more rolling and hilly than it is flat. I'd also like to uproot and push over some oak trees. Maybe dig a small pond in the future, plow a couple times per year and grade my private road. Is this something a Case 580SL can handle or should I buy something a little larger like a JD410G? Thanks in advance.

Replies11
  1. #1Shimmy12015-10-11 17:44

    I wouldn't think the 410 is enough bigger to even be a noticeable difference.

  2. #2JDfan500C2015-10-11 18:37

    Either machine wood be good. I think the deere might have a little more grunt behind it.

  3. #3CM19952015-10-11 19:04

    Welcome to the Forums Roddd!:drinkup I'm not familiar with chaparral brush but from what you describe you want to do, have you considered a track loader?

  4. #4Roddd2015-10-11 19:32

    Thank you, CM. I have considered one, but I like the versatility of having a hoe. I've also heard maintenance on a tracked machine can get quite pricey.

  5. #5ttazzman2015-11-03 23:01

    I dont know about the Brush........but you mention OAK trees if they have any size at all its going to take more than a Hoe...best listen to CM1995...in my opinion anything over a 6-8" oak tree is going to be to much for a hoe to deal with SAFELY... if you get a backhoe for the work you describe.....bigger n heavier is better...

  6. #6maddog2015-11-04 07:41

    Ttazzman, I use a 6500lb excavator to take down large oak trees some are well into the 20'' diameter(a couple were over 30'' with a double trunk). I did make a ripper for it which makes life a lot easier, it does a decent job of the work. A BH would be much more cumbersome, but I'm sure it could still complete the job if there is room to maneuver.

  7. #7Roddd2015-11-05 20:05

    You guys are always a wealth of information. I can't thank the forum members enough for sharing knowledge with a green horn such as myself. I may check out a Cat 420D this weekend and will keep y'all posted.

  8. #8hetkind2015-11-06 07:57

    A few years ago, I helped a buddy bring home a "root plow" for clearing such scrubland. It was a massive wedge shaped, welded structure that replaces the blade of a D-8 sized dozer (he inherited DD powered 1958 Allis-Chalmers from his father, and the mountings lined up). The bottom of the plow is 3" teeth running along the bottom edge pointing out, 90 degrees to the plow face. Side to side is about 12', front to back is about the same. The way it is used is to put the bottom of the plow blade about 6" below the surface and each pass builds a windrow, complete with roots on both sides. Three passes per row would give a windrow 24' apart with cleared ground in between. Combine that with a rake to separate out the dirt from the roots, you should be good.

  9. #9Roddd2015-11-06 08:44

    ^^ I like the sound of that but I'm not sure if that would work in my application. I'm looking to clear about 40 acres of brush that's about 2" thick and about 4-6' tall on rolling terrain and a hillside. I'm thinking a backhoe would be good to just plant in the ground and clear what's within reach of the hoe and then reposition and repeat. It makes sense to me, but I have as much experience running one as I do performing brain surgeries.

  10. #10ttazzman2015-11-06 13:31

    I agree you can eventually get a tree down...even with a pick and shovel:Banghead...but.......but its a balence of time and safety........a good puff o wind could ruin your day on a 20"/30' tree and a 6500# excavator...

  11. #11maddog2015-11-09 07:57

    Tazzman; you're correct mother nature could deliver a gust of wind, then again I might drive into an unseen sink hole also. I have taken down many trees with this machine, I use them for the lumber(have a mill). You're also correct that a cat 315 (or something like that) would be quicker, then again I'd have to make a highway to get to the tree, not something I want to do. Every tree is a bit different so I don't really like to put a "timeline" on how long it takes. Some can be as quick as 15 minutes others can be much longer depending on the buried treasures{ground rock etc...) If I do come across a tree that looks iffy then I cable it off in the direction I want it to fall and provide pressure with my winch. I've been dropping trees for close to 40yrs so experience is a help. One of the weirdest things I was involved with was a freak gust of wind on a calm day. Had a huge maple in the middle of a field leaning the way it needed to fall. had all the correct cuts made and was on the final cut tree even started falling perfect. A gust of wind came up pushed the tree back and spun it 180 degrees around dropping at the complete opposite direction. My point being, is that mother nature can deliver a surprise even when all known correct measures are taken.