Hi folks, I'm here scratching my head over an issue with my '66 Cat 966B loader and could use some advice. It started with fuel getting into the oil, so I knew something was up. I went in and did a bunch of work – changed out all the seals in the transfer pump, replaced the old plungers in the fuel pump with new ones (part #2M4050), switched out all the fuel lines, and even tackled the fuel tank. It was rusty inside, so I cleaned it out, got rid of all that rust, and welded it back up nice and solid. But even after all that, the darn thing won’t pick up speed when I try to drive it. The weird part is everything else seems to be working fine. The gears shift smoothly, and the engine sounds healthy. I’m starting to think maybe the fuel pump just needs to be replaced. But before I go down that road, I wanted to check in here first. Do you guys think there’s something else I should look at, or did I miss something? The pump’s part number is 2M4050, just in case that helps. And if I do have to replace it, does anyone know where I can find a good one that won’t cost me an arm and a leg? Really appreciate any tips or advice you can throw my way! Best, Ralph
What do you show for fuel pressure? I have heard of bypassing fuel pump with electric.
Does it have a small fuel strainer before the fuel pump like the D6B’s ?
what he said - My old Trojan loader had a brass screen right before the manual lift pump that was pretty much plugged. Since fixing that a few years ago, it hasn't missed a beat.
Sounds like a partially plugged screen. They can be pretty hidden sometimes and impossible to find if you don't know where to look. On some 3204 equipped machines and I'm sure others, there is a screen inside a long hex fitting on the inlet to the fuel pump. Looks like just a standard fitting.
Best bet for getting help might be to include a S/N of the machine. Then again being a 9666B probably not much on SIS! Maybe also post some pictures of the fuel pump side of the engine to refresh memories of how that system was arraigned, been a couple decades since I work on a 966B1
Did it have the same issue before the work or just getting fuel in the oil?