Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Terex C-6 Help Needed

Russbrown ยท 2011-01-09 11:35

My father has 1950-60 cable operated detroit deisel with super charger, 15' wide blade. Have an Allison CRT 5532 trans with torque converter and reduction gear. The transmission problem; forward/reverse spool works well on dual control valve, intermediate gear works well. However first and third gears are very weak. My father is getting up in his years. I do not believe there is anything greater I could give him before his death than to sit in the seat and drive "his dover". I am unable to locate anyone who knows or is willing to work on the eqiuipment. I have replaced the original trans with another used trans resulting with the same problem. I am located in Lexington Kentucky and do not know how to help him further. Can anyone make suggested repairs/tests or forward contact info on a mechanic familar with this equipment?

Replies12
  1. #1dpull2011-01-09 20:13

    Hi Russ, You might go to the IBDOZING web site and place this Post on there under the EUC/Terex Heading to try and get some help. There are a couple of fellows on that site who seem to know alot about these machines. Chuck Gaul in Plain City, Ohio is about as good as they come for FIXING up the green iron. Good Luck, dpull

  2. #2Russbrown2011-01-12 10:13

    Site has had little activity lately, no response to date. Anyone else have suggestions/recommendations?

  3. #3greeniron2011-01-14 02:46

    Russ , sent you a PM , did you get it

  4. #4Russbrown2011-01-17 10:08

    Yes thank you. Regarding 1st and 3rd gears, very weak in both forward and reverse. Will only pull enough to move the dozer some with the blade up. It will not spin the tracks at all, in either 1st or 3rd. Very little difference between full or half throttle. The oil pressure at the main valve drops when shifting from forward to reverse, then goes back up to around 150 to 160 psi. I did not interchange any parts from the first to second transmission. I can feel the shifter going into the detents when changing gears. Also I can feel the same thing on the forward and reverse shifter.

  5. #5RDG2011-01-21 04:17

    You would have to be a bit optimistic to spin the tracks in 3rd gear, 2nd maybe but 3rd would be pushing it. Cheers RDG.

  6. #6Russbrown2011-01-31 21:17

    1. I have a GM C6, with 6-71 detroit diesel in it, and has big planetaries. 2. It has two master cylinders under the dash. 3. I am using 10 weight, non detergent oil. 4. No junk at all was found, which surprised me. 5. It was a fresh removal from a dozer which had been setting for a period of time, but do not know how long. 6. I am using the same FCB. I thought being a farm boy and around farm machinery, tractors, etc. I might have been able to come up with some kind of answer, but have come up with zero. Your askiing questions in writing that I have been scratching my head about ever since this thing went pot. I very much appreciate your interest.

  7. #7Russbrown2011-02-03 23:19

    ttt

  8. #8russ612011-02-06 15:44

    possibility... I also have an 82-30,really love the old beast .I had a problem with water getting into my trans,not tarping:Banghead.When I pulled the screen element down I noticed that it hadn't been seated in properly by the previous owner.Winter was here so I let it set open till spring.Put it back in and seated the screen properly,filled it up and NO movement!Thought I really screwed something up.After a lot of thought and checking what I could, I remembered there were no holes in the screen base to let oil into the housing!Pulled it back out ,put the magnet unit in by itself and everything back to normal.It was the wrong screen from something else they had put in.Now the old girls setting up in the pasture with a track off wating for weather when I can get to it with my 955H to move thing around.Always something... In the short of it check that screen plate,you may be glad you did. Russ

  9. #9Russbrown2011-02-07 15:38

    Thank you for the recommendation, I have not checked the screen. Anyone else have a recommendation?

  10. #10Russbrown2011-02-11 14:12

    ttt

  11. #11Russbrown2011-02-22 16:15

    Anyone know what PSI we should have, holding 150-160.

  12. #12russ612011-02-23 18:01

    Ok If I remember right that's were mine is at.In working on mine I also found a broken spring in a valve body.On mine it was located on the right side of the trans.There's an access panel, to get to some of the bolts,on the side of the frame ,behind the track.need long arms to reach all the way back in there though! Keep trying ,sooner or later you'll get it or somebody will figure it out. Russ