Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need to buy excavator for Panama canal

Vladimir L · 2009-02-14 22:10

I found a garanteed contract for the Panama canal and I need an excavator. I went to the site and they use Cat 320 to 330. However cats are pretty expensive what are simular sized excavators which are cheaper. Needs to be 2002 to 2009.

Replies21
  1. #1willie592009-02-14 22:44

    It seems like a "guaranteed contract" on the Panama Canal would produce enough revenue to purchase a good Cat 320BL, there's tons of them on the market right now. Unless it's a one month contract, which if that's the case, why even bother buying an excavator? Oh sure, there are cheaper machines out there. You could find some grey market machines that are much less. But when it breaks down on the Canal project, and all machines break, you'll wish you had a 320BL while your trying to find the replacement part you need. :Banghead

  2. #2Vladimir L2009-02-14 22:57

    very true the work I found is for two years. I own dump trucks and the contract owner told me he needs a few of them. I asked him what hes paying and he told me 80 an hour and 12 hours per day. He supplies diesel and operator. I was looking at a Volvo or Hyundai.

  3. #3willie592009-02-14 23:17

    First of all, if your sending "your dump trucks" somewhere for someone else to drive them, you'd better send a mechanic to fix all the stuff they break! As for your choice of excavators, doesn't sound like bad choices. But I would take the time to do a little research on rapid availability of parts to an area like Panama and if there's a qualified mechanic to care for these machines on the site. It sounds like one of those jobs that you could make some money, but on the other hand, repairs and downtime could eat your lunch!

  4. #4Vladimir L2009-02-14 23:23

    I plan on leasing a brand new one possibly. Sounds like a better choice and I get a 2 year warranty. Techs that will come out to the work site. Parts are plenty here we are talking about Panama where theres more heavy equipment then people. Mechanics and parts arent a big deal. I find it easier to get parts here than the USA since everything is close. You dont have to go accross the country just to get a part. Options here are: Hyundai, Hatachi, John Deer, Cat, Volvo and ect. They all have dealerships here.

  5. #5oriden2009-02-15 01:23

    im using a cat 320D L at school, id have to say its very quick and very strong if the work is good for 2 years it could be worth you money in the end as i heart CAT repair teams and parts divisons are second to none. good luck with your find!

  6. #6JoeS19892009-02-15 04:57

    buy anything but Cat! I persoanlly would go with anything japanese! Komatsu or Hitachi! The Hitachi dash 3 machines are excellent and so are the latest Komatsu...the newer cats dont come anywhere near the jap machines! Joe

  7. #7joispoi2009-02-15 08:44

    Something doesn´t sound right. Is he paying $80 USD per hour PLUS supplying fuel PLUS supplying an operator and paying his wages? $80/hr x12/day : $960/day x 20 workdays/month : $19,200 per month x 24 months : $460,800 just in rental for one machine for 2 years. Either you´re about to win the lottery or about to be screwed. I would but global satellite tracking devices in anything that you send to this operation. Why does this contractor not want his own name on the title of the machine? Am I missing something here?:beatsme

  8. #8AtlasRob2009-02-15 08:52

    No your just naturally suspicious like the rest of us when we see something that is too good to be true many of us know its too good to be true. Anybody know what it would cost to get a duck and operator from UK to Panama?

  9. #9joispoi2009-02-15 09:08

    I´ll run the numbers for you, but I think it might cost you a duck.:

  10. #10Vladimir L2009-02-15 11:10

    here contractors for some reason rather lease equipment than buy it. a friend of mines says excavators some times get 120 an hour if its a short 15 day contract. However this contract is for 2 to 3 years. Labor hear is only 6 an hr. usually contractors always put their own operator.

  11. #11joispoi2009-02-15 11:25

    Why would the contractor rather lease from you for $19,200 per month when he could lease direct from the dealer for 1/3 of that? Get it in writing, signed and notarized...use your own contract, not anybody elses´.

  12. #12Vladimir L2009-02-15 11:54

    I dont know the ACP here never buys equipment. The contractor is paying me 80 but hes charging the ACP I am sure 100 to 120 an hr. This contractor is a very reliable person I have worked with him for years. There is so much work down here,.

  13. #13joispoi2009-02-15 12:16

    I´m glad to hear that someone somewhere is making money. I hope it works out for you.

  14. #14CM19952009-02-15 14:06

    Vladimir, would you mind explaining the role of ACP and who or what it is?

  15. #15Vladimir L2009-02-15 18:00

    association del canal de panama they are the div that runs the canal

  16. #16Eddiebackblade2009-02-16 17:34

    Joe I've got to pick you up on that 'buy anything but CAT' quote. The 'B' series Cats of 20 tonne plus are very respected for being as tough as old boots and packing a good bit of steel where it counts compared to more modern equivalents. However when it comes to fuel you had better make certain someone else is supplying it as one of these would bankrupt you! The 'C' series I have found to be excellent in the smaller 312/315 range with a slight dislike of the 320 (noisy air intake on early models) but a vast improvement in all areas especially economy. The 320 'D' I had the pleasure of for a month was equal to anything I have ever operated and the economy was nothing short of unbelievable. I am a Huge fan of anything Hitachi, Komatsu or Kobelco and am hoping to purchase an Hitachi Zaxis for myself by choice. However I'm certain many satisfied users will agree with me that CAT produce some excellent tough excavators, with an ability to actually back them up after initial sale that so many manufacturers lack. For the proposed job in Panama with a second hand machine, I would start with researching the 'back up' avaliable locally and work towards a machine from manufacturers well represented in the area. I am a firm believer there are no really bad machines avaliable on the market, but obviously some are built for out and out performance and longevity and others built to a cost. I've honestly never even sat in one and still percieve a Liebherr to be the finest machine out there, so we all have different idea's I suppose.

  17. #17willie592009-02-16 21:27

    That's one of the reasons I first suggested the Cat 320B, they are tough old machines. Also, Vlad's original post implied he was looking for something "a little less expensive", which the 320B is as there are ton's of them on the market right now. I'm kind of fond of the Hitachi myself, but again, Vlad stated there were Cat's on the job now, meaning, Cat experienced mechanics are probably there as well. There should always be a method to the madness.

  18. #18oriden2009-02-16 23:38

    the 320D is a great fuel econ and has a great amount of strength, and they are all over the palce for sale as the market delcines so like a car you probly could get one for a steal if you really looked!

  19. #19curb slayer2009-02-17 04:16

    cat excavators will move more dirt then others in bulk digging,but they use alot more fuel and weigh more then they should eg:325d 29t,330d 36t.I would go with hitachi or komatsu if on hourly hire (us less fuel)but go with cat if on contract rate(move more dirt)

  20. #20Bellboy2009-03-08 03:49

    What about a Daewoo 290? Or even the newer Doosan version? They seem to be pretty strong. What tippers are you running?

  21. #21yellowsteel2009-03-26 11:33

    I will say CAT or KOMATSU, reason is you will be able to find parts for those machine faster and probably a better prices in the aftermarket industrie. KOBELCO and HITACHI anre pretty good machne but sometime find part for those is harder than CAT or KOMATSU. I'm a heavy equipment USED and REbuild part Supply for the last 10 year.