Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need to find a used/reman cylinder for Cat 426

edgephoto · 2019-09-13 23:01

So I got a killer deal on a Cat 426. I am new to these big boy toys and I am struggling trying to find places to find a used or reman. cylinder. Anyplace you can suggest to call, email or link to I would be appreciated. My boom would drop almost immediately and I planned to repack all the cylinders since the seals are all dried and cracked. Well I found the issue with my boom dropping. There was a very sligh dent in the cylinder and so the piston and cylinder are damaged beyond repair. I hit a local shop and he said that he can make me a new cylinder but it would be more than $1200. I am looking to find a good used one. I am find if the rod is pitted as mine is nice.

Replies19
  1. #1Welder Dave2019-09-13 23:28

    $1200 isn't a bad price if it's comparable to the Cat cylinder. Here's what a local shop has for rebuilt used Cat cylinders. Is the shop charging for a new rod as well or just the barrel? Maybe they could just put a new barrel on your damaged cylinder and reuse your rod, head and mounts. http://hawkhydraulics.com/category/cylinders-for-sale/

  2. #2edgephoto2019-09-14 00:37

    Local shop would reuse the rod, head and mounts. He would just make a new cylinder and get a new piston.

  3. #3franklin22019-09-14 08:41

    Would this place have something that would fit or be made to fit? https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/

  4. #4Ct Farmer2019-09-14 08:49

    For rebuild repair try these Devine hydraulics in Montville. Many locals like them and they make parts in house. New Hampshire Hydraulics. Big shop that does a lot of work for several major local dealers and construction firms. Good reputation and they will pickup the cylinder. Fluid Power in Lancaster, NY. Very good work and they do it all in house. Had them rechrome and rebuild the bucket cylinder on my Volvo. Amazing work and detail. Very reasonable price on that big of cylinder. Be careful, there are several firms in the area that call themselves rebuilders and do little more than chuck a cheap China seal kit in.

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-09-14 09:32

    Here is a link to a 426 being parted out. https://www.rockanddirt.com/dismantled-for-sale/CATERPILLAR/426/invnum=74611

  6. #6Nige2019-09-14 10:17

    IIRC your machine is a 7BC around 1500 S/N. If it's a loader arm lift cylinder that you are looking for, try searching for a 9T-0415 Cylinder Group on Machinery Trader or somewhere similar.

  7. #7edgephoto2019-09-14 10:53

    Thanks for the replies. Being new to this world I am lacking contacts and go to places. I have contacted several dismantlers, including the one posted here, and am waiting on replies. I am sure I won't hear anything until at least Monday. I also have a lead on a rebuilder near where my machine is and will go there Monday and get a quote. Might be my best option at this point. I was hoping to get out of trouble for less than than it appears it will cost. Oh well I guess you have a big boy piece of equipment you pay big boy prices. I did get a good deal on the machine and including this I am still way ahead of the game. @Nige I need one of the boom cylinders. 9T5222 is the complete assembly. The cylinder only is 9T5221.

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2019-09-14 11:02

    Sense you are in CT you could try Conequip parts I think they're in NY ph# 888-983-7847

  9. #9Bls repair2019-09-14 19:11

    We’ve had threads here where cat rebuilds were cheaper then local rebuilds . Call Cat for prices.

  10. #10Nige2019-09-15 06:47

    Sorry I thought it was a loader lift cylinder you were looking for. Also didn't realise you had a Parts Manual. FYI 9T-5222 Cylinder Group is replaced by 6E-0109 if you are trying to track down a complete cylinder assembly. The barrel for that is a 6E-0110. Second the above recommendation regarding Cat pricing. I'm showing a new piston for $235 and a seal kit for less than $100. When looking at parts, the following came up. The barrel is discontinued, even the replacement 6E-0110. The system says to contact - "VINTAGE PARTS INC. @ VPARTSINC.COM PHONE # 920-356-0653"

  11. #11edgephoto2019-09-15 10:42

    @Nige Thanks for the info about Vintage Parts. I am guessing I have to go through a Cat dealer for Vintage Parts. If I am not logged in to their site Caterpillar Inc. is one of the choices. I created an account and now the menu no longer shows Caterpillar. When not logged in I searched for all the different possible part numbers. Nothing came up. When I left the search blank it gave me all the numbers but they appear to be in the format of seven numbers (xxx-xxxx) instead of the Six digit format with the second digit being a letter(9T5222). Is there a cross reference available? I need one of the following: 9T5222 9T5221 6E0109 6E0110

  12. #12Nige2019-09-15 10:47

    With the Cylinder Assembly having been discontinued by Cat i think that you can call Vintage Parts direct otherwise there would have been no reason to include their phone number in the documentation. Give them a call, you have nothing to lose. With or without the dash, in the Cat system it makes no difference. Anywhere else such as Google you might well be advised to try both with and without the dash.

  13. #13edgephoto2019-09-15 10:51

    I plan to call them tomorrow. Just wondering if you knew wheter or not they would talk to me or I need to go to a dealer. I ran into this a few years back with a small piece of John Deere equipment. JD discontinued it and I found a supplier of obsolete parts but had to go through dealer to buy it. Luckily local dealer could be talked into it. At forst they wanted nothing to do with ordering the part for me. I am sure the Cat dealer is not all that interested in hunting down parts for a 30 year old machine owned by a homeowner. I stopped to pick up my online order the other day and the place was crazy busy. They were nice but I am sure my $200 order was a nuisance.

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2019-09-16 13:02

    You can also try Schaefer Enterprises ph# (800)626-6046 I think they are in Groom Lake, Ill.

  15. #15edgephoto2019-09-16 21:57

    @Nige Vintage Parts was a no go. @Coy Lancaster Appreciate the info. I sent them an email. Their website does not list what I need. We will see. My brother got a referral from his friend in the equipment repair business for a local shop that can fix it. I left it off today for an estimate. I should know in a day or two how much this will cost me.

  16. #16Birken Vogt2019-09-16 22:48

    For what it is worth I have used Vintage Parts for other manufacturers and found them nice and helpful to deal with. I had to have my dealer number to deal with them though, maybe it is different with Cat.

  17. #17edgephoto2019-09-17 00:31

    I am pretty confident in order to buy I have to have a Cat dealer place the order.

  18. #18Nige2019-09-17 07:21

    Were they no go because they wouldn’t deal directly with you or because they didn’t have what you wanted.? Have you tried Offroad Equipment.? www.offroadeq.com/

  19. #19edgephoto2019-10-01 20:07

    Well I did find a couple places that had reman cylinders for under $2000. I found a couple used ones for $1500. Shipping is not cheap since the cylinder weighs 120 lbs. I dropped it off to a place for an estimate on repairs. $1400 for new cylinder and piston. I am going this route. I appreciate all your advice.