Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580c backhoe brake pedals behaving oddly….

thatdood · 2019-09-15 09:24

New member, first post here. I want to start out by saying the information on this site has been of great help since I got this backhoe. Now I have run into something I just can't seem to find any information about anywhere... I have a 1976 Case 580c backhoe which I just finished a complete brake job on. Replaced all the brake shoes and disks, installed new master and slave cylinders, brake return springs, the rubber brake lines from the steel lines to the slave cylinder, parking brake cable, etc. Everything works fine, except when you hit any of the brake pedals QUICKLY it acts as if the pedal is hitting/catching on something and the pedals will not depress. If you press on any of the pedals SLOWLY the brakes engage as they should. It acts as if the master cylinder rods are hitting or catching on a lip inside the cylinder or something, however, it feels as though the rods are seated correctly in the pistons (wiggling it around it feels like it is inside the cupped area of the piston with no in-and-out slop present). I have spent several hours trying to figure out what could be causing this. Is this normal behavior??? Is this some sort of "safety" feature to prevent you from slamming on the brakes quickly? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2019-09-16 13:12

    Check your automatic adjustment linkage on your brake housing and make sure they are not catching on something. If all is well there then take your lines off the slave cylinders (one at a time) and put them in a bottle with brake fluid in it and you or someone else hit your brake hard to see what happens. You could have an issue in the brake housing itself. Another possibility is that you put the drum and disc assembly in backwards.

  2. #2thatdood2019-09-19 05:04

    Thanks for the input Coy, I'll give it a look at this weekend!

  3. #3irncwby442019-09-20 00:23

    Also I’ve seen where people put hyd oil in these and not DOT 3. They leak or behave erratically with hyd oil. Also the 4 big ball bearings slip in the friction rings causeing a small adjustment error in the shoes. They are not able to retract.

  4. #4thatdood2019-09-27 07:22

    I found the problem. Both of the new master cylinders had a new style check valve that was bottoming out against the output of the cylinder, and thus blocking the flow of brake fluid out of the cylinder. I removed them and used the check valves from the old cylinders and everything is working great and as it should! I'll try to upload some pictures so it makes more sense. Thanks for everyone's input.

  5. #5Brucer2019-12-13 12:53

    New member here, and my first post. I have a 1978 Case 580C and my brakes are bad. one wheel just locks when you push the pedal and the other does nothing. I want to try and fix them but wondering if I will be able to handle this job. Some say to work on the brakes from under neath the unit others say remove the floor. I have the service manual but I'm having trouble following it would like to get some advice from someone who has done this repair before. Any advice? Thanks

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2019-12-13 13:25

    I always worked on the brakes from underneath the machine, a lot easier to me than removing the floor plate. Drain trans axle, remove the diff lock on right side, disconnect brake lines, remove the bolts and nuts that hold the brake housing to transaxle housing. You may have to back the adjuster off to loosen the brake shoes. The drum assembly might be stuck but it should off with a pry bar.

  7. #7Brucer2019-12-16 10:54

    Okay Coy, thanks for the advice. I'm sure I will have some questions once I start the repair, Thanks.

  8. #8chas3572019-12-17 07:30

    when I rebuilt the brakes on my 580c I pulled the floor pan the brake assmb's are heavy used rope to lower them to floor much easyer for old guy you may need torch as all my parts were rusted fast not a cheap job but good feeling to be able to stop when going down hill have fun