Hello All Here is a new thread on the old Caterpillar 930 wheel loader Nige has given me the correct series of Caterpillar engine I have here. It is a D330 series engine and now as per his recommendation I am posting a link to pictures of the engine so maybe someone can tell me just what of 3 series D330 engine this might be. Also any recommendations on what 3304 normally aspirated engine would replace it. www.sallyscoffees.com/930 Any request for more pictures will be complied with as quickly as practical. Thanks to all of you.
What I know based on the machine and engine Serial Numbers 41K2780 (so it has an original engine) the model is a D330. I think it may be a D330C because 41K2780 was manufactured not long before there was a change and the 930 was fitted with a 3304 engine with a S/N of 78P18799-Up. This was from 41K3208-Up. However I'm not sure, hence Phil's question.
Someone like Old Magnet, Oz dozer or tctractors might know.
I owned an early 41K series 930, a 1972 model and it was fitted with the D330C. Unfortunately, the S/No of my 930 escapes me now, it's been too long, and I'm pretty sure all the records are gone. I seem to recall the S/N was around about 41K1700. It was definitely a 4.75" bore engine, but it didn't have a separate engine number to the loader. I have just one list of my old machines left, but I don't think the 930 is on it. I can't look for it until tomorrow. I just had a look at Phil P's photos - some of them won't load for me - but that 930 of his sure has an original D330C engine, old-style Scroll fuel injection pump, and a precombustion-chamber engine.
@OzDozer . If your 41K-prefix 930, which was a lower S/N than Phil's, had a D330C then that's also what should be in 41K2780. Here's a question. If the 4-3/4" bore D330C morphed into the 4-3/4" bore 3304 then what are the chances that a 3304 of the correct 4N-3807 Arrangement from a 41K-prefix machine of S/N 3208-Up would pretty much drop straight in.?
Nige, the chances are very good, that a later model 3304 with the same arrangement number will drop straight in. The only real changes to the 3304 D330C was the modified water pump design and a separate engine serial number. The 3304 kept the Scroll fuel injection pump and precombustion chamber head design until around 1979, when Direct Injection and the New Scroll fuel injection pump were fitted. Even at that, a later 3304 with DI would more than likely, not be too hard to fit, to this earlier model 930.
I did find the record of the S/N of my 930, it was 41K1826. It was sold to me as 1972 model, but the books say it was built in early 1971. Maybe shipping time to Australia, and some time sitting around on the dealer lot meant it wasn't actually sold until 1972.
I changed one out in a 955 I think I just had to tweak the throttle linkage and fuel lines
Hi all. I also have to get a engine model for a old 930. SN:79J8766 On the engine block I see: -6A6397V- -V5-T1 Any ideas?
Got a photo.? 6A6397 appears to service to 1N-3574 Cylinder Block Gp on 3304 engines S/N 48V52800-Up.
Hello Nige That serial number makes it a few years newer than ours. Phil
As you can see the block is cracked right there at the numbers.
930 loader S/N 79J8766 was built in October 1980, so that should make the engine a 3304, however............ That block looks very old judging by (what I assume is) the casting Date Code on it. Do you have any idea if this engine is original or not.? Does the engine have a spacer plate or not.? If there is a data plate on something like the turbo or water pump then post the numbers from it.
Hi If you look at the pictures on my web site you will see in the first 3 and picture 11 a plate bolted to the block that goes forward behind the air compressor. I found a 3304 in Miami Florida that had that same plate on the side of it and still had the front engine mount on it that made it a removal from this series wheel loader. Unfortunately I got there to late and it was gone. I have found several other 3304 with that plate on it but either had a cracked block or was sized. https://sallyscoffees.com/930 Phil
I have now confirmed that all 930 wheel loaders from 79J2224-Up were originally built with 3304 engines. However there is still a doubt in my mind about that cylinder block in the photos posted by @Jaxo . I think it may not be original.