Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need to know the year of my Komatsu D31P-18

packered426 · 2019-11-22 21:07

Hello, I am new to this forum. Wondering if someone can tell me the year of my Komatsu D31P-18 Dozer? It has serial number 42373. Thanks for any help!

Replies8
  1. #1John C.2019-11-22 23:55

    It doesn’t show up in any of my references so I’m guessing it’s a gray market unit. The closest I come on serial numbers shows 1998.

  2. #2packered4262019-11-23 00:19

    John C, thanks for the info. What does gray market mean?

  3. #3John Canfield2019-11-23 17:58

    Gray market equipment was not intended to be sold in a particular country. Someone bought them and imported into the US for this particular example. Benefits - cheap equipment, negatives - lack of service and possibly lack of parts. Some importers provide limited support but it's a gamble.

  4. #4packered4262019-11-23 20:31

    ok thanks for the info John...much appreciated

  5. #5John C.2019-11-23 21:45

    Komatsu isn't much of a gamble anymore. If you have a parts book, you can get the part. Most of the time all you need is a serial number and you can look up the parts on line. Age is becoming a bigger problem than where the machine was intended to be sold now. Worked on a PC220LC-2 today with a broken front idler. Stock idler was no longer available for a reasonable price and there were no recoil springs available at all. We found a work around that I will detail in another thread.

  6. #6JBatchelor102020-05-05 17:48

    I also have a Komatsu D31P-18 Serial 41246 that I need the year model for. If anyone can help it would really be appreciated. I can't believe it is this hard to find just the year model on these dozers. I understand that the dozer may be a gray market machine but it should still have a date of manufacture somewhere on it even if it is printed in Japanese.

  7. #7John C.2020-05-05 19:17

    It's most likely gray market as the serial number doesn't come up as a US model. Probably 1990 or 1991. Year of manufacture is not usually put on SN tags on equipment. You usually find it on oddball stuff made in the US.

  8. #8Nige2020-05-05 19:24

    Everything related to Parts & Serivce information for a piece of heavy equipment is obtainable using the Serial Number. The DOM may be nice to know buts adds no value whatsoever when looking for information.