I have a Komatsu D155 A-1 Dozer (serial 10508). I need to replace one of the sprocket Hubs. I haven't been able to locate anyone yet who has a hydraulic puller capable of doing the job. I've contacted Komatus dealers. If I don't locate anyone, I'm thinking that I could cut the old one off with a plazma cutter, or at least cut it enough to weaken it. I could also try attaching 3 separate 10K pound load binders to each of the 3 holes around he circumference and pray. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I recently pulled on off of a D65 and it took 90 tons to pop it I used a cat press and made the adapters you also will need to press the sprocket back on you can not get it tight enough by hand it will come loose
Getting it off is only half way there , bit of a risk with the 320 hp to do up the retaining nut tight enough to hold the sprocket without a press . I've done that with a D47U , needed ten stone at six feet of bar , held to . Have the sprocket segment bolt holes flogged out ?
It sounds like I should abandon any option but using a puller/press. I may have found someone who can do it after making an adapter. Although not related to the presss, the bolt holes holding the sprocket segments on the old hub are oval shaped.
I agree. You need to pull it off with a press,and press it back on with a press. Nothing else will do. You’ve figured it out yourself
You could try welding the holes up and re-drilling them. After the bolts are properly torqued down, they shouldn't wear out.
The reason I am changing the sprocket hub is because the existing hub got bent. The oval bolt holes are a secondary issue and existed before the hub got bent. I tried to unbend by heating with a rosebud oxy-acetylene torch and janking with my tractor, but it would not bend. The hub must be cast steel and maybe cast steel doesn't bend.
Well, it bent in the first place. Its heavy enough that it would have to be removed to be straightened in a press so its likely better to get another one in good condition
I have a new one. The issue is getting the old one off and the new one on. The tooling to do this is very hard to find.
It's a D9-sized bulldozer. You might have to look at large contractors and the mining sector for that equipment.
I know the older kommies were cat clones and I have pulled those off complete in the past and then used a big shop press to change sprockets. Not the correct way to go about it and definitely makes extra work out of it
I do have the tooling for the job but a bit to distant for a days work, but if you are struggling to sort the right push pull threaded adapter you can get a used hub nut and weld it to a fabricated sleeve that looks very similar to the tooling used on a D8H/K, you will need a 105 ton cylinder and pump, there is a few ways you can pull off the rim and anybody who knows their job would be able to come up with a safe and effective method, the bearings are 2 path roller jobs so you cannot put them under any press tonnage, in the U.K. the 155 f/drive work has been none for me for 15 or 20 years, the job of dread was swapping a dead shaft as this used to be some nasty task, but I stuck at it and sort of perfected the removal making the task fairly easy but the 155's seemed to vanish, the task needs stripping and re-building on the tractor as its the safest and best way. tctractors
What tctractors says is good advice. You will need a set up that looks like this. Maybe see if you can find a large independent shop in your area that has been in business a long time they used to work on the bigger Cat dozers.
Thanks. I located a guy who says he can pull and press if I fabricate the appropriate adapter. But he is very busy, and I don't know if he will ever have time. I am considering building a tool to do the pull with 3 separate 50 ton bottle jacks (~ $150 each). Anyting larger than 50 tons costs way too much. But I wonder if they really can do 50 tons. The manual says the pressing force is between 62 and 107 tons. If I am lucky and it only takes 62 tons to remove it, then 62 tons at the center may equal 50 tons where it is actually being pulled on the perimeter, and where the bottle jacks would go. I plan to either order a sprocket nut and weld on to it or bolt something to the existing sprocket nut. But if someone had the tooling and were available, it would be much simpler to just make an adapter. I am also wondering if 2 bottle jacks can be stacked to increase the capacity, but that would probably just break things.
Before you pull the sprocket measure the depth of the sprocket on the splined hub. You will need to press it back on that deep. Since you are pulling the sprocket you may consider putting new seal groups in. Inspect your old ones and see how worn they are.
Tried that with a big one to pull a D4 sprocket . In the end had a guy pull it with a single ram and a hand operated power pack . https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketp.../hoists-jacks/listing/3224190085?bof=t5nCDl7K Looked like this , very heavy . He had a gauge on the power pac pump . No reason why a ram could not be coupled to fittings to work both ways , not matter what it all has to be thread mounted like TC says in post 12 . Rather than use a Komatsu nut have a wider stronger one made , either way its going to cost . What bent the sprocket in the first place ? There could be damage to the dead shaft , housing's , bearings . There are alignment tolerances for the shaft .
Epirbalex, the roller near the hub broke, and I think some of its metal got caught between the track and the hub. The hub is bent toward the dozer body about 3/4 inch on 1/3 of its outer circumference. I'll check the axle, if I ever get the sprocket off. The link you sent has it listed for $1100 in New Zealand. I see the same one listed in the US for around $300, which I find hard to believe, since other 100T hydraulic cylinders cost well over $2K.
https://temcoindustrial.com/tools/hydraulics/cylinders/ If your looking for cylinders I have several of theres at very good prices
Those are good prices. I'm thinking maybe I should move up to a 150 ton cylinder. Bigger is usually better.
Where are you located? I forgot there is a guy near me with some of the Cat tooling
San Diego
If that 155 dead shaft is bent or needs to come out to clean things up behind,it’s a tricky job involving abit of Jack Frost and some ice cubes. You need to continue to ask the advice of the likes of TC Tractors as he’s done plenty. Don’t rush into it,or the mistakes are economicaly fatal for a Komatsu.
You will need a proper Service Press Tooling Cylinder for this job as you need to attach a rod in load to the cylinder to press the sprocket home, I have put many photo's on this Forum in Shop Talk that might help you, it's under Caterpillar Sprocket pulling, i do have pictures of 125 - 155 rims being done but I am not sure if they are on the tread, the purchase of 3 bottle jacks would be a total waste of good coins, you might get the rim off but how do you intend to use them to press it back on, hollow cylinders might be of use but you will need some clever odds and ends to press the sprocket, the sad thing is I have all the tooling you need in my heap of tooling, if you were in the U.K. the job would have been done chap. tctractors
I have given up on the 3 jack approach. I have ordered a 150 ton cylinder and a hand pump from Temco and plan to fabricate something to do the pulling. The fabrication for the pressing will be a bit more complicated.
TC, I found your pictures, thanks. I hope the 150 ton cylinder (with 2 inch stroke) that I ordered from Temco can do the job. It has a much smaller footprint than the cylinders in those pictures.
You should be able to make up a track press with it to turn your pins and bushes
Here is what you want http://www.maruma.jp/pdt_ct_st.html
Those look expensive .
Better then spending it on beer and hookers.