Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need to put air to the rear of my L8000 Ford.

Dickjr. ยท 2014-07-10 16:54

I have an 8000 Ford , I need to install an air kit to the pintle hitch . Is there a kit for this or do I buy all parts individually? Do I need the hand valve or just plumb it in to my air system? I'd like to do a neat job on the install.

Replies4
  1. #1Greg2014-07-18 13:18

    What are you looking for? You just want air to pintl hitch or the cushion? Or air for the trailer brakes? I have done both and always just bought the individual parts.

  2. #2CM19952014-07-26 08:44

    Good question and one I am not familiar with either. There are a lot of dump trucks plumbed just as straight trucks on the market. I have passively been looking at getting another dump truck but would need air to pull the 55K tag.

  3. #3td25c2014-07-26 09:55

    Yeah , you will need the hand brake valve mounted under the steering wheel & tractor protection valve usually mounted at the rear of the cab . Don't know if there is a kit available ? Easiest way I can think of is find an old road tractor to use as the donor . That way you get all valves & needed plumbing and an idea of how it's plumed up .

  4. #4Dickjr.2014-07-26 11:03

    I haven't had this done yet , but the guy I talked to said he could do it , that the hand valve and others things were not needed. He says there is a safety valve to be put in place between the truck and trailer , other than that , the air supply has to be picked up in the front of the cab. I asked him if it was DOT acceptable, he said it was. I don't doubt his credibility much , he works on all types of haz mat truck , even powder trucks. I'll post picks and the cost of this when its done.