Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Trailer Advice – Getting a tag

Gixxer600 ยท 2009-11-22 12:10

I bought a trailer from a guy and got a bill of sale. Didn't think to ask about a title because I didnt know they had titles. Now I realize they have titles, and I think the seller still owes money on the trailer (and therfore doesnt have the title). I got a good deal (which maybe should have been a clue) but now I need to figire out how to get a tag. I am not sure what I was thinking (or not thinking) so I didn't even think of what I needed to get a tag. Any ideas? I thought of two things: 1. Have the seller maintain the tag for me and I reimburse him. 2. Apply for a home made trailer tag. Anyone have any experience with any of this? Craig

Replies20
  1. #1Kgmz2009-11-22 15:36

    Have you called the seller and asked him about this? 1. Why would you want to do this. What if you never get the title. 2.Does this trailer have a serial number, and is it a factory made trailer or home made. Seriously you need to find out from the seller if he has a title. Also if it is not paid off, is he going to get you the title. What happens if he doesn't pay it off, stops making payments, and the bank comes looking for the trailer.

  2. #2Gixxer6002009-11-22 17:00

    1. I already bought it a couple weeks ago. I got myself into this cause I was in a hurry as usual and didn't think of what I needed to look for/ask. At this point I have to just find a solution. 2. Not home made, but applying for a home made tag did cross my mind. Thoughts?

  3. #3Willis Bushogin2009-11-22 17:37

    title humm, you might be in a bit of a pickle. I have used tags off another trailer, but its not a good idea, if you get stopped. Now what someone else said, if he owns money on it and doesnt pay it off, the loan company reports it to the police and they put it in their data base. If you get stopped and they check the vin number. NOT good, you have a hot trailer, they might lock you up. I know you have a bill of sale, but that might be a after the fact thingee. I would contact the seller and put a scare in him. Tell him you need a title and if he doesnt have one, you are going to the DMV and apply for a new title. This may or may not work. You will have a feel of the situation, after you talk to him. You can take the vin number and go to DMV and get them to look up the trailer and see if there is a lien on it. Just tell them you are thinking about buying it, play dumb at the DMV. You will know what the situation is then. Play dumb at the DMV, Did I say play DUMB!!!! You dont know where the trailer is, someone just told you it was for sale, play dumb, until you find out the truth. Just curious, what kind of trailer is it and what did you pay for it? Keep us posted and if you need anything in the slammer let me know

  4. #4Willis Bushogin2009-11-22 17:48

    trailer Forgot something, if you do all the BS and apply for a new homemade title, and they check the trailer, they will find the old vin number, or where it was removed. There are several places they put the vin number and they check all these places on home made trailers. This would be more serious than the first advise. None of this is good for you, if there is a lien/loan on it. If you see a friend of mine (Big Mo) in the clucker/slammer tell him his Uncle says hello.

  5. #5Gixxer6002009-11-22 22:33

    LOL ... well I am thinking I may just let him maintain the tag on the thing. Unless I decide to sell it there is no reason I need to "own" it legally. Sigh ... I get myself into some interesting messes sometimes.

  6. #6Iron Horse2009-11-23 04:40

    First thing to do is to get a reciept off of him , with the amount you paid for it , the VIN number and a the words "I declare that there is no money owing on said trailer and the trailer is being sold with a clear title " Then have him sign and date it . You have then bought the trailer "in good faith" , if someone comes looking for payment on it they will have to chase him as a civil matter . As for leaving it in his name , he can and probably will come and take it back off you and there will be nothing you can do about it .

  7. #7Komatsu 1502009-11-23 09:33

    I have no knowledge of registration laws in Georgia versus IL although I'm sure there are differences. One thing is the same. If there is a lien, in every legal way the bank owns the trailer until they turn over the title. It doesn't matter how much you paid or what kind of paper you have from the seller. The bank has every right to come get the trailer. It will be up to YOU to get your money back from the seller. It would not be considered a stolen trailer, not quite, but pretty darn close.

  8. #8tonka2009-11-23 10:37

    Um basicly you have a stolen trailer in your possession! The guy you bought it from did not own it the bank/person who has the title, does. I would get my $$$ back from the guy you bought it from!

  9. #9CM19952009-11-23 11:07

    Did he sell you this trailer without telling you it had a lien on it? That is what I am assuming. If so you have a fraud case against him. I would call this guy back up and inform him if he did not get me a title ASAP, I would be reporting him to the DA in the county he lives in. He has committed fraud in a vehicle transaction. For example - I know that falsifying an address on a title in AL is a felony, don't know with GA but most states take fraud like this seriously. I wouldn't compound the issue with trying to get a tag one way or the other, without getting your proper title or just get your money back.

  10. #10Orchard Ex2009-11-23 16:31

    I'm not sure why you wouldn't just ask him for the title? If there is a lien recorded against the trailer he will still have a title but the lien will be noted on it.

  11. #11CM19952009-11-24 09:47

    Every truck that I have had financed, the lien holder keeps the title until the lien is paid. When I paid the truck off, they sent me a title a week or so later. Are secondary, for lack of a better term "equity loans" (after you hold free and clear title) done differently? I have only done traditional financing - Ford Motor Credit, local bank, etc.

  12. #12bill onthehill2009-11-24 10:00

    In NY they send you the title but it is encumbered by the lien holder. When that is satisfied you are issued a release. Pa. was different. They held the title till it was paid.

  13. #13CM19952009-11-24 11:04

    Thanks for the info Bill. So the question is what are the laws for this type of thing in GA? I have sold a few trucks to people in GA and bought a couple of trucks new from GA but they were financed through Ford Motor Credit, so the title was handled under AL rules.

  14. #14Iron Horse2009-11-24 16:03

    This is what I was going off , it is only now thought that the owner still owes money on it .

  15. #15Orchard Ex2009-11-24 16:49

    That's how it is here. I made a bad assumption that it was the same in other states. According to my FIL in GA, the lien holder keeps possession of the title. Gizzer600 - have you gone back and asked for the title yet?

  16. #16Gixxer6002009-11-24 21:13

    Yes, I said I think he does. The question is what can I do from here. I got a few ideas from people and I think I have figured out a solution. : )

  17. #17Kgmz2009-11-24 21:51

    What can you do from here!!! Either get a clear title from him, or your money back. Anything else is not legal or ethical.

  18. #18Orchard Ex2009-11-24 22:49

    :Banghead Good luck with your solution

  19. #19CinOK2009-11-24 23:47

    I am not sure how DMV works in GA but could you have then run the VIN for liens. OK uses small tag offices. With a smile and a please they will check for liens. If the trailer did not have the original bill of sale converted to a title in GA but some other state then it might complicate matters.Here in OK if the trailer is used for non-comercail it does not require a tag or title. So when a homeowners sells it to someone who is going to use it for commercial it gets a little screwy

  20. #20Dualie2009-11-25 02:55

    Simple go into your local highway patroll office with the vin and have them run it. Tell them your looking at buying a trailer with this vin and wanted to make sure that the title was clear.