Can anyone give me some direction for finding used parts? I have tried machinery trader and google searches. I purchased a Cat 314C Lcr that has a burnt cab. Thought it would be a good project but now I am thinking otherwise. It seems no one is dismantling any of these machines that have good cabs. I am guessing it is because its a 2005 and they are not worn out yet so the only thing that puts them is the wrecking yard is fire, and the cab seems to always get burnt. I am willing to travel even overseas, hoping someone has a great contact or website. I have tried pricing the cab through Cat and the price is more than the machine by the time you get all the little bits Thanks, .
Try brikers.com located in Surrey, B.C.
X2for Brickers. They specialize in repaired cabs. When I worked at the dealer, he bought all of our damaged excavator and loader cabs to refinish.
I quickly found four listings for dismantling, three of which had pictures. All three of them had burned, yours makes four, so if it was me I think I would run like hell rather than fix a deathtrap. Hope CAT doesn't sue me for that statement.
Have a customer with this model. Is there a common cause of the fires?
Unkown. Curious I did a little more digging, I'm up to six I think with pictures, every one of which has burned forward of the engine compartment, one of them was cab only and the top door over the engine... odd much. Of course rereading the OP's first post that's what he says... but this is kinda scary to me.
thanks guys so far, yes I have tried brinkers but they have no cores, this cab is only used on the 314c and 321c because they are compact radius machines. so far I am up to 26 different dismantlers and parts places I have contacted with no success for a good cab. I am hoping someone has a better way of finding this than just a google search. The only unburnt one I have found is at Wardwick in the united kingdom but it is already sold. I don't know if all the fires is a design flaw or is it the fact they are fairly new (mine is 2005) because besides fire why would a fairly new machine be in the dismantlers hands. My machine only the cab got burnt and the 7 hoses that go up to the boom, the engine is completely untouched and the main hydraulic manifold and pumps are fine. the story I got was careless smoking and the operator had a bunch of blueprints behind the seat, the story I think is true because I did find some binder metal rings from books behind the seat.
Well... what about talking to jewell, the custom cab people, they might know of someone that took a regular cab off to replace it with a custom one, or they might be able to make you one cheaper than cat will.
thanks stumpjumper, it might be a long shot but I am to the point now where it doesn't hurt to e mail anyone,
will a regular cab fit I know it won't be round a little hot wrench and some coat hangers maybe duct tape . where are those built you may get lucky and find off of a different brand Zero radius machine that will fit it wouldn't be that noticeable because they are kinda odd looking any way:idea:idea
I think a regular cab would look weird on it because it will overhang the structure below, part of my problem is I need the harnesses and controls too. there is even a computer under the seat that is burnt, I am not exactly sure what it does because there are no wires going to my injection pump, I am thinking it is a throttle control computer. even the interior is different than a regular cab because the dash is in the armrests. if at all possible I want to put it back to original, I want to build a house next summer and tear out some tree lines between fields and then I will likely be selling it, don't want it to be a hacked up mess if I can avoid it. I was hoping on here someone would know of a small equipment wrecker that may not be advertised real well or suggestions of cab guys like I stumpjumper gave,
I think you may have underestimated the cost of the repairs your machine needs. If you buy a cab from a salvage yard that is all you get, just the cab. The Pilot valves, levers, seat, wiring, monitor, PVC, HVAC, and so on are usually all separate. Even if you got the machine for free, if you want to put it back to original it may be cost prohibitive. I assume you contacted Langley Excavator Exchange and Leemar already?
Not all salvage yards sell bare cab shell. We don't. We sell ours from floor plate up. Seat and all controls. We even roll up the pilot hoses and include them. Although my little blurb here doesn't solve this issue of this post :tong I've tackled this sort of project before and I can tell you that it was NOT worth the effort. The machine was plagued with all kinds of quirks and it ended up at auction. I think we threw a party the day it left the shop. I would recommend with scrapping it out yourself and selling the good components or sell it as a salvage machine.
I have thought about that option too, the only reason I am wanting to repair it is the fact that the fire was not very bad, not even the hoses and wires under the cab are burnt. I am sure if a dismantler gets one of these units in I can buy a complete cab, even if its $10k is fine. I really don't want to hack it by putting a different style cab/electronics in it, I know that will lead to headaches. I have repaired burnt tractors and it wasn't too bad, if you can find someone dismantling one. so far I have not found any good cabs in north America at all.
Try polar parts in Minneapolis. They might have somethin?
Thanks, Joeyslushr! I just sent them an e mail. here is the list of everyone I have tried and had absolutely no luck, Jewell, VI equip, HR, burns, brikers, yancy, Langley, premier, leemar, ck, fraley, ohio cat, Toromont cat, stowers, wardwick (uk), Quinn, Portland tractor, ur parts, please guys keep the suggestions coming,
We all network with each other and if you've contacted one of us, you've covered all of us.
ok thanks final drive, I have called or emailed all the companies I have listed in my last message, most of them said they checked with their affiliates and came up with nothing. is there a parts wanted list you could put me on for this?
Try Tillies in Australia, http://www.tillys.com.au/ They have lots of stuff and send OS
Looking for anyone who knows why my stepen motor is not working on my 2001 volvo ec 210 esc.
Try these guys www.fpsmitheq.com