Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bladder accumulator charge pressure

digger_hunter ยท 2014-09-22 04:22

Hi guys, Have a question regarding accummulator setup on an excavator. Basically we have a bladder type nitrogen accumulator which is to be fitted on the aux hydraulic piping of a Cat 312 excavator (on the high pressure side). We are attaching a breaker to it which will be used at least 8-10hrs a day. The operating pressure of the breaker is 175bar. My question is should we not put the accumulator on the low pressure side of the aux piping? What should the nitrogen precharge be for the accumulator in the first place? I have heard various numbers from 20-80bar. but I am totally confused what to do. I understand that you need the accumulator to compensate for the pressure drop in the system when the breaker is on its upstroke, but i can't figure out where to install the accumulator and what pressure to use. Any help and advise would be high appreciated guys as i dont wanna install it somewhere wrong and cause even more damage as i am only putting it there as our mechanic says else the pump gets damaged since we are operating the breaker non stop! Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1GregD12014-09-22 12:37

    Where does the maker of the hammer tell you to install it ? What aux hydraulic kit is on the machine, Cat or after market ? I would get their reccomendations and follow them. If it goes boom you will really have a mess to deal with.

  2. #2tctractors2014-09-22 15:59

    The Nitrogen charge pressure is usualy 90% of the system pressure on hydraulic systems, Hydac-Bosch are very good products you also need to know the size cylinder that is required. tctractors

  3. #3Nige2014-09-22 17:02

    As above. Where does the manufacturer of the breaker recommend to install the accumulator..? Does the breaker manufacturer not supply a hydraulic schematic diagram..?

  4. #4lantraxco2014-09-22 20:06

    Seen them both ways and with accumulators on both lines. Hugely different precharge pressures of course. The old Allied hammers we ran had the accumulators bolted on the hammer case with an o-ring as I recall. As stated above, you absolutely have to get the hammer manufacturers specs or A) it won't work well if at all, and 2) you will break something expensive.

  5. #5John C.2014-09-23 00:47

    What is the brand of breaker. I haven't worked on one in years that didn't have the accumulator in the breaker. What I have worked on generally required the charge to be only the amount required to make an item move. In the case of a breaker you only need enough charge to make the piston rebound. Not enough charge and the piston only hits once. Too much charge and as I recall there isn't any power on the tool.