Hi, Hello to all ! It's good to see an active forum dealing with construction equipment ! I've spent 3 days online and on phone calls trying to find these wheel clamps for my old semi lowboy. Webb # was 3313 but they are obsolete and I called many parts houses to try to buy them. Each clamp covers two studs. When I bought the trailer it was delivered with one wheel's clamps replaced by single clamps that stuck up an inch outward from where they are supposed to seat. All the local "junk yards" were bought up by companies that send everything thats old to the smelters,,, which they also own. Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh, the Webb wheel number is a 6315, 3 spokes, with two studs at the end of each spoke. Thanks for any information, Mugsie
The single wedges will work fine in place of the double ones, I guess you get a little bit less friction, but the doubles don't work that well if one stud gets loose. There are thousands of these trailers running around on single wedges. I own 2 myself that I have had over 10 yrs with no problems, a 1953 freuhauf 15 ton, and a 1971 Rogers 50 ton. As far as the wedges sticking out too far, that is no problem either as long as the stud comes all the way through the nut. What WILL NOT WORK is if the wedge is too short and the heel of the wedge hits the hub. The textbook answer is that it's ok if it hits as long as it doesn't hit until 3/4 of the specified torque is applied, but I play it safe and use long enough wedges to keep it from touching. If you do need shorter wedges, any commercial tire shop should have them. Good Luck, Mitch
Thanks Mitch, I'm having trouble finding a single wedge that has nearly the same dimensions and hole size for the my 5/8" studs. Fleetpride didn't have any at all. Can you suggest a brand and part number that might get me in the ball park? Who carries the best stock of wedges? The original wedges had the following dimensions: A= 1 13/16 this is width of the area at the topside of the clamp where the not bolts down. B= 7 3/4,, was wide to cover two studs, so this doesn't apply for single wedges C= 1 11/16" depth of wedge from shoulder to the point that does the wedging. D= hole size is for 5/8 stud diameter E= no dimension here as the wedge tapers down to nothing. Thanks again Mitch !
Call Midwest wheel company. I've bought them in the last three years. My interstate tag trailer has them. 515-265-1491