Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Needing help with starter wire connections on a TD15C

duramax2004 ยท 2024-11-15 08:20

Can anyone please guide me in the right direction to connecting wires to starter. I can't seem to get the starter engaging. I have a big hot wire hooked to both the starter and the starter solenoid. Also have four smaller wires hooked to the lower terminal of the starter solenoid. The starter will spin but will not engage to turn engine. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Replies8
  1. #1AllDodge2024-11-15 08:27

    Need to post pics of the wiring

  2. #2LCA0782024-11-15 15:15

    Did the starter just stop working or did you replace the it and need help with hooking the wires back up? If it just stopped working, it may be the bendix (or similar) is not kicking out. Tried smacking it with a lead hammer?

  3. #3Simon C2024-11-16 14:40

    Post pictures of your starter, starter solenoid and will tell you how to wire it. Do you have a key switch or push button to start. I can figure it out easily if you send pictures. MIght be a good idea to bench test starter before buying any more parts. If it won't work on a bench , highly unlikely to work in machine. Simon C

  4. #4duramax20042024-11-17 21:29

    I really appreciate the responses. I was missing a wire that attaches to the right side of the solenoid. The prong was bent back, and you couldn't see it. I pulled the starter out again and realized my screw up. I do have another question to throw out. Do the fuel lines that connect to the injectors have any type of grommet/seal on the line. I just started it today after doing an in frame rebuild. I have a few that I can't stop from leaking. Thank you.

  5. #5Simon C2024-11-17 21:39

    Can't say that I have ever taken fuel lines off a TD15C, but if they have been on a long time they tend to wear in specific pattern. Therefore when taking apart they have to go back in same place. Sometimes the receivers , the taper mates up to, is worn and leaking after. Hope you can fix. Glad you got the starter figured out. As I said, if it won't run on a bench , don't expect it to work in machine. Glad you found disconnected wire. Simon C

  6. #6MarcusZ19672024-11-18 06:19

    No seals, just a flare. Is it leaking from under the line nut?

  7. #7duramax20042024-11-18 11:45

    It is leaking from under the line nut. I guess I need to back them out and see what the flared end looks like. I have them plenty tight but still leaking.

  8. #8MarcusZ19672024-11-18 11:54

    Yeah, could be something on the flare. Some miss-alignment....