Hello All, Like so many I have much experience with heavy equipment but non with cranes. THis has been my first stop for advice so please go easy on any criticism. I have considered for years now looking into a small portable crane ( such as a carry deck ) that we can use for odds and ends for our excavating and home building business. Moving some items and lifting some in place. We always rent cranes for anything bigger. I have been looing at the small carry decks ( 8.5 ton) with say 30 to 40' booms recently. What type of traing would be required to legally operate one of these? Before I get too far into this. I am in Ontario, Canada. Many thanks
Requirements are likely different there than the US, but even regardless of the laws, it is important to get some hands on training in rigging and mobile cranes. The fact that it will be a privately used machine and not out for rent means that the chances are higher that you might push the envelope of safety in some circumstances so you can get a project done and move on. The little rigs are more likely to be involved in some kind of mishap, incident, accident or death than the big ones because of the LACK of training of just about all people associated with the use of the small rig, from op' to riggers. Don't take it lightly at all. I've seen more than once where a little carry deck has killed someone.
×2^ Personally I'd stick to renting if I were you. For insurance purposes, not only lack of experience.
practically they only have about a 3000 lb capacity, with all the boom and jib. the less the more you boom down. Really only used them in a refinery and industrial environment. small valves and piping. I couldn't see them in a residential setting.
A Zoom boom might be another option, depending on what you are doing. It can do many of the things you are talking about, and is more portable, plus training is more available. I am seeing them used by more and more residential contractors, and even seeing them being used in the petroleum industry. A rigging course would help too if you don't have someone that is qualified as a rigger.
Thanks guys. I think you are right about the zoom boom. Might be the way to go. I have seen a few that can actually rotate around..... I think I will see whats out there most likely more versitile for me as well.