Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Never underestimate the value of a good truck driver

cuttin edge ยท 2020-08-25 19:51

Lost a crew member this week, because of a moment of weakness. 90 percent of the time, 3 of us work together doing grading jobs. Truck driver\ float man. Foreman\ laborer. Operator. We have been working together for the best part of ten years. The driver is an early riser. Has the gear on site early. Can load and unload anything we have, including paving gear. Hooks onto his tag along float faster than a fifth wheel. understands grade, and can tail spread material how I want it. Doesn't mind getting out and helping with the hand work. He and the white hat have an old married couple relationship. They bicker, sometimes they never speak to each other for days. Never affects the work.... until this week. They were doing hand work in front of a garage, and I went to get a bucket of gravel. When I came back, the truck and float were leaving. I thought he might have got a call to help the pavers move, or something. About 20 min later at 3 o'clock break, the white hat asks, did you see what happened? No. He turns to reveal a bit of a shiner. Oh no. I spoke to the driver that evening, and got the story. He regretted it as soon as he did it, but it was a done deal. Our crew is broken, and can't be fixed. This morning we had another driver, and boy does he have a lot to learn. The company owner, realizes our old driver's worth, and he has been demoted from a 2016 truck to a 1996 truck with a different crew, but at least he still has a job. He was told if drivers were not so hard to find that he would have had to hit the road.

Replies11
  1. #1.RC.2020-08-25 20:37

    Well people should just keep quiet if they voted for Justin Trudeau.

  2. #2Bls repair2020-08-25 20:39

    It takes two to tango,what was the white hats contribution?

  3. #3Truck Shop2020-08-25 21:30

    Sounds to me like those two should have been split up some time ago, the one with the raccoon-ed eye is an instigator-I would bet. But in this kinder gentler world and the laws as such some people still need to be thumped. JMO.

  4. #4suladas2020-08-25 22:13

    If someone I was working with told me they voted for him they'd be getting a lot worse then a shiner

  5. #5suladas2020-08-25 22:20

    Would have been wise for the boss to split them up before, and then maybe they'd get a difference perspective and maybe work together better later. I don't know how people can blow up that bad though. I've spent most of my years working with family which anyone who has can tell you is as bad as it gets. Me my brother and dad have had really bad blow ups but it's always just words there is never a thought it would ever go beyond that. But when things get too heated you just have to walk away. Big reason why I enjoy working by myself so much.

  6. #6AzIron2020-08-25 22:49

    Working with my older brother growing up would usually turn to a fist fight pretty quick and often dad finished a few of those family can be terrible and awesome all in the same day But after 10 years of working together someone really knows how to push some buttons and find so willingly to produce that outcome I would never tolerate fighting on the job but if were going to spend that much time together then either they should have been split up a long time ago or go get some boxing gloves on every couple months and I bet they would work together better

  7. #7petepilot2020-08-25 23:32

    maybe thats what it took to get his old truck back

  8. #8cuttin edge2020-08-26 20:33

    The driver is a bit parinoid, and the white hat a bit of an ass. harmless, but they are both on the deaf side, so sometimes thinks are heard that were not said, and vise versa. They are both good guys, but a misunderstanding and quick temper and things went past the point of no return. The three of us do good work together. Crazy busy, not the time to be breaking in a new guy on the team.

  9. #9Truck Shop2020-08-26 21:00

    Brinkerhoff Signal was drilling in Kittitas Co during the eighties for Shell-most were 15,000 ft deep. I got to know one of the platform bosses and part of his crew. I remember him telling me that his rules are to be followed and the crew had been together a long time. No fighting on or off the job-platform performance requires everyone get along.

  10. #10Bls repair2020-08-26 21:29

    Most of the jobs I worked in the last 15 or so years had a policy of any body envolved in a fight is fired on the spot,1 day or 30year employee

  11. #11Welder Dave2020-08-27 00:01

    I worked in a shop where the owners were of German descent and so were a few workers. There was also a polish worker who had lost most of his family in the holocaust. He ran the plate rolls and radial drill. He always requested me to help him roll shells. One day he got into an argument with one of the German guys and popped him in the face. I don't think anything was ever said about it. They added a new overhead crane and everybody complained the control was way too big. Management said to live with it. The polish guy used it once and complained. It was changed to a smaller control the next day! He was very good at his job but you couldn't get ahead of him. The only thing I could do was ask if I should get the jack from the tool room because we would need sometimes to line up the shells for tacking.