Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new and old graders

len740 ยท 2010-01-30 18:57

87g AND 740

Replies16
  1. #1len7402010-01-30 19:00

    the 870g replaced 1997 740 ;nice change

  2. #2Cat is ALL2010-01-30 19:02

    That older grader is in pretty nice shape. Does the new deere graders have joysticks?

  3. #3len7402010-01-30 19:32

    yes older 740 had 10,000 hrs on it i looked after it always. 870 does not have joysticks,couldnt convince fleet manager!!!!!!!!

  4. #4Cat is ALL2010-01-30 19:34

    I heard the county grader operators didn't like joysticks cause when the hit a rock, or something hard but hands obviously go forward equaling a mess. I don't know if there is any way of getting around that, thats just what I heard.

  5. #5len7402010-01-30 19:50

    could be true ;didnt get to demo joysticks.but we did try a cat14m with joysticks only thing i didnt like was steering at higher speeds ;BUT THAT IS ITS OWN TOPIC AS WE KNOW!!!

  6. #6w2bstoned2010-01-31 22:55

    thanks for sharing

  7. #7ovrszd2010-02-01 08:34

    I've often thought about building fenders to keep the mess off the machine. My concern is always when running chains. The fenders on your new Deere look like they are really close to the tires?? Do you run chains?? Do you leave the fenders on?? Thanks for posting the pics and the comments.

  8. #8len7402010-02-01 15:34

    ovszd, yes i run chains and i leave the fenders on .the champion fenders had good clearence but the deere are alittle close. i am going to pull a couple of cross chains off and see if this takes the excess slop out. they do work but touch the fenders when they stretch after a while. thanks for reading.

  9. #9Cat is ALL2010-02-01 17:07

    What type of tires do you run on it in the winter? In my own experience running loaders to plow snow michelen is the worst, but goodyear seems to work pretty good.

  10. #10Iron Man2010-02-01 19:16

    Nice swap. Gotta love that new grader glow.

  11. #11len7402010-02-01 19:58

    CAT. these tires are goodyear cores, with a gripper type recap.they work not too bad but the lugs in my opinion are to big . years ago the tire lugs were smaller and a softer compound. this tire dosent have much of sidewall to it. iron man yea its sweet post a better pic later. thanks

  12. #12ovrszd2010-02-02 09:54

    i run Michelns, can't remember the exact model but they are 17.5 wide. They are pretty much useless in snow or on ice without chains. The next problem we have is the chains try to move and the crossbars fall into the lug groove that runs across them. When they were new the lug depth was enough to almost hide the crossbar. With a little wear I now have chain on the ground. My friend's 140M has the same tire but in a 14" wide. His chains use smaller crossbar chain and they don't work well at all. They have tried double chaining and now have added crossbars to every link in an attempt to get traction. A neighboring township runs Micheln snow/ice radials. I don't have a picture, but they have smaller lugs with more sipes. They say their tires work well without chains but they chain up during deep snow removal. They also say their chains don't get wedged in the lug grooves. We have talked about that type of tire on our next machine. I'm attaching a picture of my tires w/chains. You can see what I mean about the crossbars trying to get into the lug groove. Sorry I don't have a better picture.

  13. #13Grader4me2010-02-02 11:17

    Yup, with them type of tires the cross chains gets in between the lugs. Been there.We run the Micheln snow/ice radials. They are good in snow as mentioned. The guys don't use chains very often. I can't get over your wing set up..wow! Tell you what..I send you one of our wings with all the hardware and you send me your grader..lol..better yet I'll throw in an old Champion with it..

  14. #14biggrader2010-02-02 20:44

    Ya I'm with G4me, The snow ice radials, regardless of tire brand, are really good in snow. I run the continental version and have yet to put chains on. I will say that they are worthless in mud. The grooves and sipes plug with mud and you have one big slick tire. For normal summer blading they are also good because they have a smooth ride. just my 2 cents

  15. #15ovrszd2010-02-03 08:11

    I get along with our wing because that's what I've got to work with. It has it's limitations but we make good use of it. A township near us had one just like it. They sold it for junk iron and got $100 for it. They thought it was a good deal..... G4M, I'd definitely trade you our wing for a rear mount wing, but the grader trade ain't gonna fly. I'm attaching a picture of two chain crossbars. The bigger one is what I use. The smaller one is what I used to use when I ran 14" tires. I think the difference in chain link size is why I get by with my tires and why my friend's chains don't work so well since he uses the small type.

  16. #16ovrszd2010-02-03 08:26

    I remember when we switched from bias ply tires to radials. The first thing I noticed was the smoothness of the ride. The next thing I noticed was they had just as good of traction going backwards as they did forward. That was an awesome discovery. Lost track of the number of times my old bias R4 type tires filled with mud in reverse and became worthless. I can see that the snow tires would have that problem in forward or reverse. Kinda like putting All Terrain tires on your Jeep. Work great under the conditions they are designed for but very poorly everywhere else. I guess it's a trade-off.