Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New belts on a clark 666c with a 4-53 detroit in it

coxy74 ยท 2014-05-05 06:43

Hi there all, Have a clark 666c skidder with a 4-53 Detroit diesel in it, that needs new belts. Went to take the old ones off, and was like how and where is the belt adjuster on it?? Can someone point me in the right direction?? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1grandpa2014-05-05 06:50

    There's four studs that hold the fan assembly to the engine block. They are in slotted holes. Loosen the four bolts up, then on top of that assembly in and adjuster bolt. Back the adjuster bolt off allowing the fan base to slide down the adjuster bolts. That will give you the slack to remove the old belts.

  2. #2coxy742014-05-05 06:57

    Hmmm, I looked at that, but there is no adjuster bolt?? If I undo the four bolts ( 14mm heads?? ) it looks like it will just slide down, to get the old belts off, but how would I adjust the new belts up tight?? Thanks for your reply

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-05-05 10:57

    Our forklift is like that. I just jam a prybar in it to lift up on the fan support and tighten the bolts.

  4. #4mitch5042014-05-05 15:18

    They are 9/16, not 14mm heads, no metric fasteners on a 53 series.