Need to do brakes on my machine got a quote for $795.00 usd from brokentractor.net for the complete assembly’s,by the time I do the exchange I’ll be over a grand . How much work is replacing just the lining material. Is it just a matter of drilling rivets and cleaning adhesives etc.don’t really want to dump 1000$ plus whatever seals I need to replace as there both weeping gear oil .
I would take it apart first and access the situation. Your linings may be good, if they are oil soaked you can take a small torch and burn the oil off of them once you take them apart. The slave cylinders for my case 480c are only $51.00 a pair on Ebay. Not sure if your 580b is like mine or not. Replacing the seals can be tricky, do a search on here first and read the manual before you do it.
no slaves on the B... all mechanical. had to remove mine to get to a deeper issue inside the final drive. probably one of the most difficult and frustrating things I have ever had to do. I'm not referring to the actual brake work either... my issue was the drum housing and fasteners had become corrosion fused to the drive case and no amount of heat, oil or creative pulling would break it free. Finally resorted to a combination of carefully melting metal with a cutting torch and beating it senseless with a sledge. works great now though,lol. The B has a very unique brake setup referred to as a Bendix brake. Basically a combination of manually actuated band which causes a drum to laterally expand against the housing. find a picture/diagram, otherwise it gets confusing to understand how a non hydraulic system can work so well. (as long as it stays clean and rust free.)
Haven’t pulled anything apart yet was goin to wait until spring time. I know I’m going to have to replace seals and orings when I get in there . And decide whether to buy the linings and rivet kit or the already assembled setup. Got quoted 735.00 usd for them from broken tractor. So I’m like ouch. That’s not seals or whatever else . By the time I get that here and shipped to Canada It’s going to be big$ . Plowed my driveway twice now and it’s sketchy as hell , only left side locks up enough to turn when the buckets down and right side does nothing no matter how hard I stand on the pedal almost smacked a car on the road off the incline of my driveway already . Dug the bucket in to the ground and hit reverse and got stopped. On a happy note I had my plow beacon light flashing on the roof to let the poor guy know I was going to slide onto the road in front of him .
It seems even though my 480c has hydraulic brakes, they kept the band/expanding mechanism in place. These tractors definitely evolved through the years.