Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pump and gauges for testing hydraulics

PeterJC · 2023-10-27 17:15

I'm looking to get a manual or air operated pump to test my hydraulics. Right now it seems like most of my cylinders are leaking internally and I'm thinking it's not the cylinder but a control valve or maybe the main relief valve. My functions all work but I am a little slower on some verses others. The Case manual says to use CAS-10090 hand pump and associated fittings and gauges to test the various ports. That pump doesn't seem to be available and it probably cost a fortune if it was available. There are plenty of hydraulic pumps that are not real expensive and can hit 10,000 pounds of pressure so I'm asking if anyone can recommend a pump for this work? Vevor has fitting and gauge sets for a reasonable amount along with air actuated pumps for under 150 bucks. VEVOR 2510A Air Hydraulic Pump 10,000 PSI Quick Power Air Hydraulic Foot Pump 1/2 Gal Reservoir Foot Actuated Hydraulic Pump for Heavy Machinery Rigging & Auto Repair | VEVOR US Discover VEVOR 2510A Air Hydraulic Pump 10,000 PSI Quick Power Air Hydraulic Foot Pump 1/2 Gal Reservoir Foot Actuated Hydraulic Pump for Heavy Machinery Rigging & Auto Repair, Standard Air Inlet & Oil Outlet and Simple Foot Pedal Control at lowest price, 2days delivery, 30days returns. www.vevor.com Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Peter

Replies4
  1. #1ahart2023-10-27 20:12

    I have a pump similar to that which I have used to pressure check control valves before. I would invest in a top of the line gauge to tee into the outlet, don’t want to risk over pressuring something due to an inaccurate gauge.

  2. #21693TA2023-10-27 20:20

    And a good adjustable pressure relief valve. You don't want to administer 10KSI into a system or component designed to operate at 2KSI for instance.

  3. #3funwithfuel2023-10-27 20:26

    Why not just exercise the cylinder to the end of travel, remove the opposing hose and plug the hose end. Then start the machine and try to continue that function. If oil comes out, and keeps coming, it leaks, otherwise, good to go. No need for fancy pants pumps.

  4. #4ahart2023-10-27 21:27

    Cylinders are easy to check without a pump, worn spool bores in a control valve, not so much. The one place I can think of is on a 336F, bucket drifted off. After checking everything past the control valve, blocked off one side of the valve and pressured up with a foot pump and wouldn’t hold pressure, spool bore was worn which required replacement of entire control valve to repair.