Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Case

NateV · 2007-11-18 20:39

We picked up a new Case 580 Super M2 about a month ago. It only has 30 hours on it now. It has everything except ride control and the quick change front bucket. It has the pilot controls but i think we would have been better off going with the 4 sticks. Here are some pics.

Replies20
  1. #1cat3202007-11-18 20:57

    That is a nice machine . so why do you say that about the pilot controls I ran one at the case rodeo and would proble get them if i was going new.

  2. #2NateV2007-11-18 21:19

    The pilots are designed well its just a matter of personal preference i guess. Im sure in time we will problaby feel diffrent about them but after using 4 sticks for so long its tough to switch. Dad ran 4 sticks for about 30 years so i guess you cant expect to pick it up over night. One thing i dont like is where the out rigger controls are. They are on the left pilot control tower. Im used to reaching back and pushing them down while backing up. I think they should have been put on the side by the dash some where imo. Edit: I also get tired of pushing the controls back up towards the window and pull them back when you need them again. Also i have to move the seat positions back to swing back around to drive, then slid forward alittle because i feel to far away from the controls. Gets old if you have to do alot of movement. With the 4 sticks i just had to swing back without sliding the seat.

  3. #3cat3202007-11-18 21:45

    I can see what you mean with going from the 4 srick to pilot .I went from the 3 stick to the 2 leaver and did not kie it at first but now love it and found it hard to play with the 4 stick durring the rodeo. I can see the postioning of the the controls could get old very quick if you have to keep moving .

  4. #4fireman0502007-11-18 22:21

    so how do you like it i am looking at buying a case backhoe within the next few weeks

  5. #5Wolf2007-11-19 01:31

    That's a nice loader you got there, Nate. How come someone sold it with only 30 hours on it? That was a lucky find.

  6. #6coopers2007-11-19 02:36

    Ditto. Blake WA

  7. #7fireman0502007-11-19 08:12

    i am going to guess that is how many hours they have put on the machne

  8. #8Wolf2007-11-19 09:26

    Duh, good point Good point. My mistake asking about the 30 hours. Thanks for setting the record straight.

  9. #9NateV2007-11-19 17:55

    Dad has had nothing but good luck with Case backhoes over the years so I am assuming we should have the same with this one. Its too early to tell but it seems like this one should be the same. One difference I know between this one and the L we had was this one is lighter in the rear. Dad was roading back to the shop and there is one grade that is not even that bad and he said the backend was coming off the ground as he could hear the tire chirp when they came back down. And yeah we have only put 30 hours on the machine. We looked for a used one but just figured we would be better off with a new one.

  10. #10jazak2007-11-20 16:49

    Thats a nice backhoe!!!

  11. #11JS580SL2007-11-20 17:37

    Im not a pilot control fan, Nate I hear you. Im tall and have a hard time spinning around. The precision is there but the feel and responce isnt. The one thing I find with an M2 with the Cummins/Iveco motor vs. a Super L2 with a Cummins is the response. The Super L will repsond quicker. The M2 is less repsonsive at the pedal. The loader hydralics are smoother on a M2 for sure though. I think the M2 has a little more power to the wheels, it will spin the tires much easier than the L. A friend of ours says that his L would walk a steel main pipe chained to the side of the front bucket down a street no problem, his M series 1 wont. He says you have to unlatch the hoe and swing it to the opposite side as a counterweight. Heard other guys doing the same. He also says his Super M1 is a dog over the road and doesnt like to push as well as the L would. Ive yet to run an M series 1 but I believe its the same engine as the L. No matter what you cant go wrong with a Case hoe.

  12. #12NateV2007-11-20 17:57

    I thought it was my imagination at first about the slower responsiveness of the M. The L was definitely quicker, and over the road the M is slower too, one hill i could barley make in 4th on the L i would have been stopped in the M so i went to 3rd. and thanks Jazak

  13. #13JS580SL2007-11-20 18:07

    I baby our machine. I never run hills in 4th. Personal preference. Cat guys cannot believe how fast my L is though. Has a guy ask me once if I had highway gears in it.:cool2

  14. #14NateV2007-11-20 18:17

    Its not that bad of a hill. Its kinda like a double dip but the second hill is just a tad bit steeper that the first one and there’s a little flat stretch in between normally there’s enough speed to make the second without shifting.

  15. #15cat3202007-11-20 20:33

    I think it helps with the turbo I have a plain L and if i don't go down in a lower gear it will not make it up a hill.

  16. #16JS580SL2007-11-20 20:50

    Our L series 2 will go up hills no problem in 4 but I dont like the thought of the strain on the torque-convertor despite different beliefs. Pushin heavily is 1st gear, the machine is powerful but once that turbo spools up it makes a difference.Really gives that little extra boost. The first L series to me did feel like a lighter machine quicker on its feet. what year L do you have?

  17. #17cat3202007-11-20 21:33

    just a regular 580L non turbo it's a 4x4 ehoe

  18. #18Preppypyro2007-11-21 23:12

    Nice looking hoe. I love when equipment is all new and shiny looking, although they usually dont stay like that too long!

  19. #19Countryboy2007-11-21 23:18

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Preppypyro! :drinkup

  20. #20Preppypyro2007-11-21 23:33

    Thanks countryboy