Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580

Wolf ยท 2007-11-18 15:25

Did some work on a Case 580 yesterday, and I was pretty impressed with the machine. It was a solid performer, easy to operate and pretty fast moving. What do you guys think of that machine?

Replies8
  1. #1snowycuda2007-11-18 16:41

    Wolf please provide more information, Case 580 what? K, L, L_Ser2, M, M_Ser2, SM, SM_Ser2, SM+_Ser2? Something older? Year made?

  2. #2mikef872007-11-18 17:42

    I love Case backhoes I have 3 of them. I made a lot of money with those machines, fast reliable, easy to fix, compact, yet strong. I have 2 Cats right now only because the Case dealer went out a few years back and we had no dealer for a while. The 580Ks were troublesome with the electrical and for some reason the cabs rotted no matter how good you took care of them.

  3. #3rino14942007-11-18 19:53

    We have a Case 580D that we just use to move pipe and material around on the jobs and we also have a plate compactor on it too. Has been a really reliable machine. We used to use it daily and it has done alot of digging for us.

  4. #4coopers2007-11-19 02:38

    Case builds a solid backhoe IMO. I've used some pretty damn old case backhoes and they still do work like no one's business. Newer machines are great, newest being L's...I have yet to run an M. I'm hoping my boss will pick case over Deere. We're looking at getting a backhoe. Blake WA

  5. #5Phil2007-11-20 06:41

    I had a D once with the Cummins engine. I heard it was an option or maybe it was available later as a conversion, I'm not sure. Anyway for the age, it was one beautiful machine, and is still my favorite. Phil

  6. #6JS580SL2007-11-20 17:21

    Ive yet to find a backhoe out there that I like more than a 580Super L2. John Deere is the only machine neck and neck with a Case in my eyes. Cases are work horses that will run and be reliable for a long time no matter what kind of work. May not be the biggest fanciest machines out there but 580's are still #1.

  7. #7Dustin Mason2007-11-22 14:00

    Case had (has?) a retro-fit program for the C and D models to replace the 207 Case engine with the Case/Cummins 4-390, in lieu of rebuilding the 207. I gather that is what was done to your D, effectively turning it into a 580E. That conversion always interested me because the newer engine does not have a separate power steering pump, I suppose it was replaced with a priority-valve arrangement off the main hydraulic pump, possibly the same as the E's and later models. I have been around a lot of Case 'hoes of that vintage but I have never seen one with a conversion. I wonder how many were converted. Back to the original post, I think rather highly of every version of the Case 580 series, even if the machine you are referring to is a straight 580, (no letter afterwards) that machine was a horse in its day. I thought it was a modern machine, compared to the 530 I grew-up on. Dustin

  8. #8Phil2007-11-22 19:50

    I've never saw another D model since with the Cummins engine. According to a friend of mine that used to own a Case dealership, it was a very costly conversion. Apparently there were many accessories that had to be changed including the hydraulic pump. I am tempted to buy this Cummins engine he has out of a forklift with low hours for $3000. The shuttle is $1500. The local Case dealer has this same engine sitting in the showroom for $7600 I think. I've included a picture for anyone interested. Phil