Hi everybody! Long time reader first time poster I'm from Sweden so you might have to excuse my language. I'v owned the machine for a couple of years now, but I've been lucky enough not having to seek online expertise. Until now... Before buying this machine, I hadn't operated or owned any heavy equipement so I knew basicly nothing about it. I've worked quite som bit on cars and other technincal stuff before, but nothing like this. Me and me wife bought a small property a bit outside of town on which we're about to build a house. The "garden" was more like a small forest, so I thought, why not buy an old cheap digger and fix it up myself. How hard can it be The machine is a Case 580B, from around 1977 or so. Not really sure. The housing does not look like ay other Case 580 I've seen online but someone here might know what I it is. When I bought it, it was in very good optical shape compared to most machines in that price range. It must have gone through a complete overhaul pretty resently cause the was almost no rust on it at all. Here in the north, a lot of machines older than 10 years are really rusty of they have not been repainted. Since I had no knowledge of diggers at all, I had no chance of judging its technical state. I didn't even know how to operate it so the seller had to show me It started fine, was ok to drive, and the backhoe worked ok as far as my limited knowledge could tell so I bought it. In retroperspective, I've found out I've been quite lucky. The machine have caused me allmost no problems part from a fuel filter needed changing. It still works fine in every way, but there are starting to be more and more ware that needs taken care of. A lot of the joints in the backhoe are worn and the machine is now leaking hydraulic fuel a bit to much for garden use. The battery is dead so I have to jump start it everytime I use it. The cause turned out to be the charging regulator being broken. I have ordered a semiconductor bolt-on retrofit that will hopefully make the charging work. If the battery survived 17V of charging for I don't know how long is another story The machine have proves itself useful for various tasks part from digging, ranging from dragging trees through deep snow to lifting boat engines. I dont really know how to do without it when the house is finished. Thanks in advance for all your knowledge! If I might know something not already told here, don't be afraid to ask. Happy digging! /Tomas
Have you checked the water level in the battery? if it's been overcharged it may have just boiled off and work again when you fill it up with distilled water. What kind of hydraulic leaks do you have? There should be some threads on here about Case cylinders if you need to repack any. It sure looks like you got lucky.
I hope so too. I haven't checked that yet. Will do as soon as I get the generator workin'. I bit here and there I'm afraid. Mostly from cylinders but some hoses too I think. I've read some guides and watched a few Youtube clips on the topic so I think I know what to do. The thing that worries me the most is if I can get the "gland nut"? (top of the cylinder where the piston goes in) off and the weight of the big cylinders.