Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New CAT 259D3 vs. Bobcat T66, need feedback

Traut811 · 2023-01-05 07:58

Hey guys. I have read through a ton of threads about pros and cons of each machine, but there are several things in question still and was hoping someone had first hand experience with both maybe. I'm looking at purchasing a new machine soon, either a 2023 259D3 or T66 bobcat. Both are 74hp and direct comparison in my eyes. I previously had a Cat 257 then switched to a Bobcat T595 for a few years so have "some" experience with their predecessors (even though the 257B ASV undercarriage was completely different and had a smaller engine at the time). Apples to apples, I can probably get into either machine for right around the same cost equipped equivalently. The bobcat would have the C68/P29 packages. 2 speed std flow backup camera radio deluxe touchscreen AC/heat enclosed cab heated seat rear counterweights wide track Automatic ride control (CAT has torsion suspension, Bobcat would have their torsion suspension as it's different but I liked the roller suspension on my 2018 T595) The local dealer suggested opting out of the automatic ride control for the CAT and said it wasn't really needed with their torsion suspension. Seems like it would be nice to have if it did anything for retaining material in the bucket. Bobcat has this standard. Any experience with this option on either? As for suspension setups, any complaints with difficulty grading with the torsion suspension on the machines? My biggest complaint about my old CAT was the cab seemed so small and cramped. It was fine, just very tight side to side. I assume the new ones are the same. Any visibility differences between the two? Looks like Bobcat has a little higher lift capacity. Finally the CAT has the 3.3l and Bobcat has a 2.2l both pushing 74HP. The CAT dealer says the 259D3 will burn ~1.5gallon less per hour than the T66. It is also rated at 8.5mph in 2spd vs 10.2mph in the Bobcat which is a win for Bobcat in my opinion. Any feedback on these items or anything else would be greatly appreciated. I am a homeowner and do anything from grade yards for people to using a tree puller back in the woods to material movement for landscaping and forks for moving skids around. To me everything leans towards Bobcat other than you know CATs are built tough with a refined cab and resale may be higher on it. Warrantys are the same and I'd probably keep it for 4-5 years. I assume CAT would have a higher resale when the time comes. Thanks in advance.

Replies4
  1. #1KSSS2023-01-05 17:58

    I don't own either machine, but I would get the auto ride control if you go CAT. The torsion system can't do what RC does. As far as grading, the CAT torsion system makes that a little more difficult as people complain about it. However they are still able to get it done. When I got my SharpGrade system, the installer talked about the added difficulty the torsion system is when trying to hold grade. What I don't like about the D3 and BC I think is much the same way, certain attachments hook up only to that brand machine. So if you want to change loaders, your attachments have to go with it, or you try to figure out how to bypass the attachment electronics. I am not saying its not a bad idea from an OEM perspective. Have 10's of thousand in attachments will likely keep you in that color of machine, regardless of what you think of it. If your not interested in those attachments that are electronically linked, none of this may matter.

  2. #2bobatack2023-01-05 19:11

    My son has a T66 bobcat I have put many hours on that machine and I am convinced the BC torsion suspension is more stable then the 259 cat machine And yet its very nice ride (better then the Bobcat roller spring suspension is) Have used the T66 with and without the ride control....definitely would recommend it. The visibility is better to the rear on Bobcat.... visibility the other 3 ways its comparable to most other brands And last but not least the 2 speed at 10.2 mph is some advantage when going some longer distances

  3. #3Traut8112023-01-05 20:27

    Thank you both for the helpful feedback. Couldn't agree more on the attachments. Most of what I use is hydraulic without electronics so I actually haven't run into that (yet). Can't speak on the cats but I've read a lot about people trying to use adapters with and without luck between bobcat/ other brand machines and equipment mis matching. Funny you mention that about grading. That's the biggest complaint I've read about both. It makes sense why it would affect it also. Sounds like bobcats torsion suspension is basically going after what CAT has standard with theirs. In my case though, I'd take the tradeoff. Bobcat is available without it or with for around $2k more. It's something I think I'd want though. I do remember going from a CAT to my t595 how I could actually see out of the back window. Side visibility was the same ish, just different blind spots. The cab was much roomier in the BC. I really appreciate the feedback about the direct comparisons you have between the two because that's what I was after. CAT has the ride control as an option, bobcat is standard. I'd want it. The 2spd is a big thing for my. Neither of my last 2 machines had it and holy cow moving material a decent ways could take forever. I was using a 84" bucket just to get more from point a to b faster haha. I'm also torn on tracks. I really liked the bar track tread on my cat, bobcat had c pattern. Bar tread definitely didn't tear up the grass as much but feel c pattern worked much better digging, especially with lower ground pressure with the wide track. Might just go C again.

  4. #4bobatack2023-01-05 20:30

    The multi bar tread pattern wins when snow conditions apply