Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gehl ctl80/Takeuchi tl150 fuel solenoid problem.

James alex zheltonoga ยท 2023-01-05 19:34

My Gehl Ctl 80 quit running while i was clearing some land with a mulcher. I jury rigged the fuel solenoid and got it back to my shop. I traced the wires back to a relay and replaced the relay. The red wire still did not come on with the key. Then i read some forums and they suggested replacing the detector relay. I did that and still no results. All fuses are good. I found that the first relay that i replaced has a small pigtail coming out of it with a red wire a black wire and a red/white wire. if you energize the red wire the solenoid works as it should. I broke down and bought the shop service manual for the wiring diagram but none of the wire colors on the machine math the diagram. anyone have any thoughts on this?

Replies29
  1. #1thepumpguysc2023-01-06 00:22

    The black wire is -ground.. Red wire is low amp run. White wire is hi amp pull in.. usually from the starter..

  2. #2heymccall2023-01-06 00:31

    Did you change "J" or "K" or both?

  3. #3heymccall2023-01-06 00:34

    J and K are ones that always gave issues, until I resoldered the failed joints within. Ironically, they are the only relays that come apart, to see inside.

  4. #4James alex zheltonoga2023-01-06 09:40
  5. #5James alex zheltonoga2023-01-06 09:42

    Thank you pump guy,do you know what energizes the red wire?

  6. #6James alex zheltonoga2023-01-06 09:43
  7. #7James alex zheltonoga2023-01-06 09:44

    I replaced K and H

  8. #8James alex zheltonoga2023-01-06 09:46
  9. #9James alex zheltonoga2023-01-06 09:49

    Thanks heymccall, I checked the old relays for broken solder joints before i replaced them.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2023-01-06 15:24

    It looks like A & B r for the solenoid.?? Usually the hi amp pull in is from the starter.. then it switches Thu a relay to low amp HOLD/RUN..

  11. #11heymccall2023-01-06 15:28

    The high amp "pull" is from the Stop solenoid timer. Low amp "hold" is from the Emergency relay. Schematic attached below.

  12. #12thepumpguysc2023-01-06 18:15

    U da man.!! Thanks for that..

  13. #13heymccall2023-01-06 18:54

    Well, if you think the solder joints are good in "J" and "K", swap them (after marking them, of course.) You indicated that you changed "H" (detector relay). In 20,000 hours of fleet use among 3 TL150 machines, I've never had to change the "detector relay". "J" and "K", however, I've changed several, before I started taking them apart for resoldering. We've had TL150 machines since 2003.

  14. #14James alex zheltonoga2023-01-07 09:32

    Thanks i will try switching J and K again. You sent me a picture of the K relay. When i put 12 volts to the red wire on the left side of that relay every thing works as it should. But i don't see a relay with those color combinations on the wiring diagram.

  15. #15James alex zheltonoga2023-01-08 19:28

    tried switching J and K relays. Still not working. Does any one know why the wiring diagram shows only four wires going to the emergency relay #3,when in reality there are 12 wires going to it. Does any one have a diagram of the relay and where all of the other wires go to ?

  16. #16James alex zheltonoga2023-01-10 18:16

    Does any one know if the J and the K relays have 3 relays inside of them?

  17. #17heymccall2023-01-10 19:23

    Yup, that BE31 has 3 relays inside. On schematic, here's how to I'D whats in each. But, you said you opened them up and inspected them. Did you not see the relays on the circuit board?

  18. #18James alex zheltonoga2023-01-11 09:06

    I did see the three little white boxes in there but i did not know they were relays. i didn't understand the wiring diagram . now i do. Thanks a lot heymccall. this should help me out.

  19. #19Georgia Iron2023-01-31 20:55

    There is also 2 relays in the instrument cluster which can not be replaced. Moisture can get in the cluster itself and cause it to corrode, take it apart and look at the board.... The whole cluster must be replaced if this is the case. It is about $800.00. I recently had this problem same problem with my tl150. 2 relays which were good and replaced to **** money away, and a cluster and a fuel shutoff solenoid. The solenoid is a $200.00 part at the dealer and you can get the same one on ebay for $20.00. I finally just pulled the solenoid off the fuel pump and you can watch it work as you turn the key on and off and plug and play parts till it works unless your wiring is not good. And if your hearing is ok you can listen or feel the relays activated as they do there job. This problem on my machine was intermittent and a real PIA. It would sometimes start and then sometimes not. You could hit the glow plugs and get it to fire up and then sometimes not. Thought it was the lift pump, fuel screen, fuel filter and so on. I knew I was not getting fuel but why... Royal PIA until I watched the solenoid pop back on when it was supposed to be open. Also you can feel it, if it gets real hot it is bad... It is easy to figure out when you raise the cab, have the solenoid out, can turn the key on and off and also look at the relays at the same time. PS my relay board at my feet is different than the above drawings. There is an extra one in my machine..

  20. #20James alex zheltonoga2023-02-15 19:39

    I got back to the clt80 today. according to the diagram at you sent to me the heavy green wire that goes into relay unit 3 ( RELAY 3 ) SHOULD HAVE 12V GOING TO IT ,and it does,but when i check the light blue/with black strip my test light barely comes on and i can hear relay 3 click. I also unhooked fuel shut off solenoid and powered up the red wire and traced it back to the relay,so that wire is not broken. I dont have any voltage in the white wire that goes to the red hold wire when the relay closes. The white wire goes off the page that you sent.

  21. #21heymccall2023-02-15 20:12

    The entire schematic is linked under that image. Go back to that post and click where the arrow points.

  22. #22James alex zheltonoga2023-02-16 17:43

    Thankyou,your still the one!

  23. #23James alex zheltonoga2023-02-16 18:11

    I can see where the white wire goes now. but it looks like the emergency stop relay 1 and emergency stop relay 2 are inside of the cluster on the diagram. can they be tested or do you have to replace the cluster ?

  24. #24heymccall2023-02-16 18:37

    Does emergency stop relay one have 12v where arrow points? If not, a wiring issue from fuse?

  25. #25James alex zheltonoga2023-02-17 08:35

    where is that relay,by my feet or in the gauge panel ? if its by my feet which letter relay is it? J or K ?

  26. #26heymccall2023-02-17 09:24
  27. #27James alex zheltonoga2023-02-24 14:18

    Are emergency stop relays 1 and 2 the little black boxes soldered into the circuit board under the cluster ?

  28. #28James alex zheltonoga2023-02-24 14:21

    What are the two relays that plug into the harness under the gauge cluster ? one has a blue plug and the other has a white plug.

  29. #29James alex zheltonoga2023-03-04 17:47

    Does anyone know how to test the emergency stop relays on a Gehl CTL80/takeuchi LT150 ?