Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New CAT 303.5

pafarmer ยท 2014-04-15 01:51

I added a new 2014 CAT 303.5 machine to my fleet. My local Car dealer has been after me for years to buy one of the CAT mini's, I finally broke down and purchased the machine with two buckets and tow master tilt trailer in a package deal presently being run by Cleveland brother. You get a full cab 303.5 nicely equipped machine with a 12 and 24 inch HD buckets with a brand new tow master tilt trailer 7 ton unit with chain and binders for 48 K before tax if you are not exempt. Thought it was a great deal and a sweet little package...he tossed in three years of full coverage maintenance package at zero cost as well. Will add actual pictures once it arrives......was told a month max for both Mini and trailer.

Replies17
  1. #1Hardline2014-04-16 00:26

    One of my customers picked up a 303.5E CR. I serviced it for the first time today. Nice looking machine. Pretty easy to service.

  2. #2pafarmer2014-04-16 02:22

    Good to know hard line. We do all our own service work . I'm look forward to owning the little CAT. This by far the smallest machine I have ever owned. We have a need and I felt the package deal was worth giving one a shot. Thanks for the reply.

  3. #3ILLICEMAN2014-04-20 09:01

    Just traded I just traded my 302c.5 for a new Kubota.I wanted a cab.Cat dealer took 10 days to get me a price.My 302 was a great machine.It looks to me like you got a great deal on your 303.Have a good time with it.Cheers

  4. #4Hardline2014-04-20 11:11

    There were only 2 things I found odd. Had to remove the fan gaurs to get to the oil filter. Which were 2 bolts and took 5 seconds. Removed the screen under the oil pan because the hole for drain plug removal was kinda small and I could see making a mess. Other then these 2 things everything was pretty well thought out.

  5. #5pafarmer2014-04-20 11:38

    It's being delivered Tuesday. Added a few little extra to the package. Added a thumb and a 30 inch ditching bucket. Still can't believe the deal they gave me on the CAT and trailer. pictures forthcoming....I have had good luck on our larger CAT equipment, Cleveland brothers always has the parts and service I need on hand.....great folks who know how to take care of their customers....highly recommended.....it looked like it was well thought out for service. Thanks for taking the time to respond guys in appreciate your inputs on the little CAT......

  6. #6pafarmer2014-04-25 12:16

    Took delivery this morning on my brand new CAT 303.5

  7. #7Digteam62014-04-25 21:38

    Wow looks amazing. How is the power and the tipping forward with the boom fully extended with dirt I know its a little early but please let me know when you get a few hours on it thanks. Hope it serves you well.

  8. #8Desertwheeler2014-04-25 23:34

    Very nice!! I want a mini bad! Lol I spent the day on a 302.5 and loved it the other day. Congrats!

  9. #9bmckenzie2014-04-26 10:01

    303.5 is a nice size for a lot of jobs , amazing how much work they can do. Hope you enjoy

  10. #10JGibson2014-04-26 10:16

    Very nice machine!

  11. #11pafarmer2014-04-27 04:28

    My impression after 6 hours of running the little CAT is it has plenty of power, more than expected. As far as tipping with the bucket full and boom fully extended , is the machine is extremely stable. So far I very happy. Plenty of lifting and digging power , very comfortable, big cab area, just an all around nice machine. I'm used to much bigger machines, so it took a little getting used too. I would highly recommend the CAT 303.5 t to anyone looking for this size machine...I demo'ed each manufacturer prior to buying and although they all performed well , Experience has taught me to go where your local support is the strongest. It's the support after the sale that matters the most IMHO....

  12. #12Digteam62014-04-27 14:40

    Thank you for getting back to me I appreciate it.

  13. #13pafarmer2014-04-27 15:08

    Your Welcome. I hope I answered your question satisfactorily. I own a Bobcat 2012 E50 aswell and that machine also very stable fully loaded and fully extended. The equipment engineers pay close attention to these important aspects of machine operation. Nothing like the machines of old. The CAT is well engineered and it shows in every area. I highly recommend the CAT 303.5 if your in the market for a 4 ton unit. It's pretty interesting to jump into the little CAT 303.5 after jumping out of my 365CL.... I liked the CAT better than any of the other manufacturers in the same class. I plan on bringing it out the job site tomm. and let it start making money with the others. I should have some video in a few weeks of all our equipment in action. Stay tuned...

  14. #14CM19952014-08-17 19:25

    So how has it been treating you? Our dealer has the same deal - $48K, trailer, PM kit, 2 buckets and a pelican cooler.. Anyway, looking at selling a few pieces of not used iron, including the 334 and upgrading the mini. If I do it, I'll buy a Cat. How has the size of the 303.5 worked out for you? I'm thinking it will be a little small for what I need it to do.

  15. #15pafarmer2014-08-17 20:05

    CM. The 303.5 has been a great little machine. I bought it to use around my farm. It's not out on the woods making money with the others. I built and repaired a few roads , cleared out a flood damaged creek, dug a few miles of drainage ditches etc. it has over 300 hours and hasn't missed a beat or had any issues. It's a nice package if someone is looking for a decent sized machine and trailer for personal use or light construction. I have been running a new CAT 316E for the past few months and I think based on your work photo's the 316E would be a much better machine.

  16. #16CM19952014-08-17 21:11

    Appreciate the followup pafarmer. I don't need a 316 sized machine, got that covered with a 321 and a 420D. Need to replace my mini (334 Bobcat), bought it new in 2001 and it's time to retire it. We use our mini fairly often but due to it's age it doesn't get used as much as it should. I'll take the 420 to jobs that a newer mini could handle, being able to mob a mini with a pickup is a big plus. Looking at the spec's today, there's not much difference other than motor size and hp between the 303.5 and 304. Of course hp and a little heavier machine is always better to operate but is if worth the difference? What I am seeing the choice is either a 303.5 or 305/305.5 as that's where the true difference in the models show, bypassing the 304 if one needs a bigger machine than a 303.5.

  17. #17pafarmer2014-08-17 21:49

    Agreed on the mini choices. The 303.5 is a very capable machine. In my opinion the best in its weigh range. The 305 is very nice as well. I ran a 2012 E50 a few years before I bought the 303.5.. I can do everything with the 303.5 that I can do with the E50 but it takes a little more time. The E 50 could lift a big load, more than the 303.5 but they are in different weigh ranges, way over the published specs and the 303.5 too can do more than published specs. I liked the 303.5 mostly due to the fact I can load it very easily and the weigh makes hauling legal with my Chevy 2500 which is very handy as you know. The CAT mini X are great machine is all respects in my humble opinion. You wouldn't be disappointed in either the 303.5 or the 305. Both are impressive in capability and engineering design. We repair all of our equipment and time is money do I had no choice but to get something that was reliable and easy to work on when that time comes, and it will no matter what brand you choose. The Bobcats were a PITA to repair and my dealer wasn't exactly motivated after the sale even though I bought machines from them for decades. Once the son took over the dealership it when down hill for me and Bobcat.