Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Cat 416 tools and impact size?

BigTree ยท 2014-11-18 01:58

Hey guys! Just got a 95 416B. I am starting to collect some tools to prepare myself to work on it. Looking at gland wrenches, a deep impact socket set that goes up to 2" (unsure if I'll need bigger) and curious if a 3/4" impact wrench will have enough power or if I'll need to step up to a big bad 1" The biggest things I'll be getting into right away is rebuilding most of the cylinders and replacing the extenda hoe cylinder - which should be fun. Thanks for the time and space guys! Open to all opinions!!

Replies5
  1. #1Clubbs2014-11-18 13:01

    I had a time getting the nuts and bolts off the ends of my cylinder rods my Deere 310D with my 3/4" and 1" impact. I ended up taking the rod to a shop and helped him struggle to get them off with his 1" impact, but he managed to get them off. His line air was turned up to 180psi, and mine is set at 120... I suppose if you have enough air pressure and volume anything is possible. I've also used well over 2" sockets servicing cylinders. Welcome to the forum, I'm a new guy here to but the rest of the forum has proved to be very wise and helpful to me, I'm sure you'll find it the same. Congrats on the new machine. Dave

  2. #2Deeretracks2014-11-18 13:11

    I have never been a fan of using an impact gun on cylinder nuts. If I can't get it with a 1" breaker bar and cheater pipe it goes to the hyd shop to be removed with the cylinder bench. A 3/4 gun should do most everything else on that machine.

  3. #3BigTree2014-11-18 15:55

    OK thanks guys. I realize most of the cylinder work will be best off using a long cheater pipe, just thinking about the rest of the machine. Sorry I should have worded that much better. Guess we'll see what I have gotten myself into!! Thanks again!

  4. #4Curbster2014-11-20 03:38

    Well, good that you have found this site cause there is a heck of alot of very useful information and links to all manner of assistance! If you use the search features and look around, there is information available on most aspects of backhoe repair. Others have done darn near everything possible to their machines and many have recorded the ways and methods that worked for them. Some very knowledgeable folks on here, and lots of amateurs like myself. Now watch out for those flat face o-rings that cat uses and get a good kit. I carry a lot of the common ones with me and can fix a leaky connection fairly fast with some knuckle busting and the help of my grandsons small hands! My old 426C is still chugging along because of the links and information I have discovered here and a few other places about the internet.

  5. #5pajibson2014-11-24 21:06

    Agreed but I dont have a grandson I use my wifes small hands. I also have an 11 year old that loves the work too.