Hi all, I have a JCB 214 series 3 on an island in the Bahamas. The s/n is 0900368. The problem is we have lost all drive to the wheels. It is 4 speed with a shuttle change on the steering column. It is leaking some fluid from around the gearbox/torque converter case but I can't see where it is coming from! When you put it in gear and place the shuttle into forward or reverse it doesn't jolt as if it has engaged. But if you Rev the engine fully it tries to move forward or backward. I am hoping this is an easy fix, something I might be overlooking? Any help would be gratefully received. Cheers Malcs
Have you checked that the shuttle and/or transmission is full of oil ? You did say it is leaking somewhere. Did you follow the manufacturers recommended procedure to check the fluid levels ?
Yes matey. Oil levels are checked and topped up as required. It did run ok but has slowly lost its power. Thanks
clean the suction screen and change the filter first , are you checking the level how the book tells you to
Thanks I will find and clean the suction filter, changing filter may be a problems as have no spares with me!
This might help, number 14 in the diagram I think. Higher resolution images follow these links: one two
Thanks for that Greg. I will look at it in the morning. Cheers
I had this VERY same problem with my JCB Sitemaster. The problem was in the screen element. it was so full of gunk & metal shavings that it kept the oil from entering the oil pan. I opened the drain plug & nothing came out. i went to change the filter & oil started glugging out from near the top of the trany, when i pulled the screen filter, i needed a 5 gallon bucket to catch it all. the screen element is cleanable & reusable ...as long as there is no damage to the screen. it made all the difference.
Thank you all for your help. I cleaned the suction filter, replaced the oil and I now have drive. Only problem is I have a leak which is coming from the top of the gearbox somewhere. I don't think it is from the filter seal. Any ideas? I noticed from the drawings in the post that it has a pipe which goes over the box to the other side but I can't see it or find it! Could it be this? If so how do I get at it?
Could it be the dipstick? Or there is a plug (10) and a hose (2) that I believe goes to (8) that could be leaking too. Anyway to get a in there to see? Higher resolution here: one two three
I have got the machine travelling again........cleaned out suction filter and new oil......still got leak!!! I think it is coming from filter. I have removed and cleaned as best I can.....found new seal for it, put back on but still leaking!!!..... I think the seam has gone on the filter so will have to be fixed properly when I come out next.....$10 part but unable to get quick enough as in the Bahamas