Anyone heard anything about a new Cat 140 grader coming out soon?
Like in a new m series or a new H series? they have a K series but not for north America because of emissions.
Just heard that there was a new 140 coming out, nothing else.
Following. Hadn't heard that. I'd be surprised to see them introduce a whole new model. Economics aren't that good right now. 18 months ago there was nothing on the horizon for Cat or Deere.
They are starting to get rid of the model letters like they did on the new excavators and 745. So I could see them doing that with the blades maybe.
Carolina cat in Charlotte nc had 2 140k graders from overseas on their lot a year ago and the salesman told me those were the last 2 new cat graders with a steering wheel they would ever have.
That's to bad, I run a m series in the winter, operating the M series is not to bad its roading it any distance, especially with plow and wing on the machine that can be a problem, you cannot take your eyes of the road for 1 second especially in traffic, this is where the steering wheel is needed, I believe the m series graders are meant to be floated to the work site not driven, the joystick steering over reacts to quick movements when roading especially on rough paved roads which in return can cause a serious major collision with oncoming traffic, this is where the H series shines, a way more comfortable roading experience and control with a steering wheel, Cat should have the steering wheel joystick combo in the m series, I believe the John Deere grader pro has this option, John Deere seen this problem and Cat should clue in to this problem also.
I work for a paving company setting up stone base. We have 2 John Deere 672gp, 1 12m, and a 12h vhp. I've been with the company longest, so I was given my choice of machines. Needless to say, I chose the 12h. Can't stand the m. The Deere is ok, but it's hard to beat a good 12h. In my opinion the m was the biggest mistake cat ever made.
I run a 140h for spring ,summer, and fall, then move sadly to the 140 m for the winter snow removal, (seniority thing) I sure miss my h series over the winter, I will be back on my baby in a week or two, the m series has some good options and those that like them like them a lot, but call me old school, I would pick the h series in a heart beat, to bad Cat stop making the H series style.
Around here we have very little snow, but on the rare occasion we do, we just pull my h off a job and push snow. Luckily here in North Carolina, we have no off season and can work stone all year long. By the way, my old 12h has 16,000 hours and still going strong.
I also heard that there will be a choice for Joysticks or Steering wheel with old controls
Deere now has three choices. Standard rack with steering wheel. Fingertip controls on armrests with small steering wheel. Joystick controls on armrests with small steering wheel. Supposedly the two armrest control systems can easily be swapped.
Was it a K you were thinking of? You can get them here, just that they are expensive. I think the salesman said they have a C7 in them. That might be for the 160 as well. A couple people demo’d Them around here. The common complaint was that they were underpowered and hard on fuel (hp wise, they were rated low). Up till last year, they were allowed teir 3 on certain models, which they were. That ended this year, so I don’t know if they brought the engines up to teir 4 spec, or made them unavailable in our market.
C7? No thanks. I'll stick with the C9 in my 12h
We have the C 7 in our 140m and its had its share of troubles for sure, I run a 140h for the most part and than go on the 140m for winter works, the C7 just does not have the low end grunt I find, i'm used to a C11 in my 140h with lots of snort, has been mostly trouble free, getting close to the 12000 hrs mark on her.
Would love to have a 140h with a c11, but my old 12h has 16000+ and never been apart. Can't complain about that either.
Talked to a Cat rep today and he said there is a Cat 140 coming out. No M just straight 140. It will have steering wheel and old controls but Joy sticks might be available also. C9 engine. They don't know when it will be out. I operate a 2014 140M with a C7 engine. It has no lugging power at all. Our old 140H with a 3176 engine would run over the M. The 140M not good in plowing snow, can't keep the speed up. It always shifting because of no lugging power. That H was a good grader. Good luging engine.
Cat 140. No M just a straight 140.
Interesting, will the old controls and steering wheel with optional joysticks be in the m style chassis, or a all new chassis.
Better check the Cat site because a new 140 grader is out. Nobody believed me when I first posted it in March. Back to the steering wheel and old controls. The big thing is a C9.3 engine with more HP. FINALLY
Just checked it out. Much better machine than the M series. Nice to have the old style controls and cab back.
I found it on the cat website, but I can’t get my local dealer to give me any information on when they will be available here.
Here the link to the new model 140: https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/motor-graders/motor-graders/2661581332365765.html
I’d like to have one. Hate to give up my old 12h, but I believe I would have to let her go if given the choice.
Have just looked at the Cat 140 brochure link that Graderfan posted. Cat has sure back tracked from the M series. I was a little disappointed in the torque specs. At 827 lb/ft, it's not bad, but still lacks the sheer "grunt power" of our Deeres. We have a pair of 770Gs,that have a low end torque rating of just over 900 lb/ft. They have 9L engines. That bit of extra torque is not required for normal grading, but is very help full when plowing snow. We had a pair of G946 Volvos before we bought the Deeres, and when doing heavy plowing, they were constantly downshifting, to the point of not throwing the snow far enough from the wing. They were rated slightly higher on hp, but only had, if I remember correctly, about 630 lb/ft of torque, coming out of 7.2L engines
Just saw a new 120 with the choice of either levers or joysticks on the Cat website now.
I’d like to try a 140 with 6wd on one of my sites. I’ve become quite attached to my Deere 772g, way better then our 930g Volvo’s we had before. But the cat looks pretty good. Don’t know if it can match the Deere grunt though.
New 2019 Cat 160M3 coming here next Wednesday. We'll see how it performs.