Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Scarrifier Tips

Metalman 55 ยท 2018-03-17 17:42

I am kinda new to graders & need to get some replacement scarrifier tips for our 740A Champion Grader & the ones on it are "Black Cat" # 6Y5230, made here in Canada. Last time I bought them over here in Canada I paid $31.00 each for them.......seemed kinda steep. I wanted to ask if that is a common tip & if there are any good places here in Canada to buy them more reasonably priced? Was doing a parking lot grading job this morning & the top was frozen which equated to some worn tips!

Replies6
  1. #1Welder Dave2018-03-17 17:54

    I'm sure they're common. Check with dealerships or companies that carry ground engaging tools. I need new teeth for my box blade and they wanted about $20 a tooth. These are narrow crimp on teeth. The teeth for my skid steer are about twice as wide and only cost about $7.50 each.

  2. #2cuttin edge2018-03-17 18:19

    I think you can get them a bit cheaper, but they don't last long. If it's a mid mount scarifier, be careful in the frost. I have broken those round arms off. It's easier than you would think. I try to rotate the shanks as they wear. They last longer. I don't know who you deal with there, but I think here in NB it's wear parts.

  3. #3Nige2018-03-18 17:08

    6Y5230 is a Cat Part Number and genuine ones are about the same price as you paid for the non-OEM Black Cat ones. YMMV because I don't know about your dealer pricing structure.

  4. #4Metalman 552018-03-18 22:03

    Thanks........did not realize it to be a Cat part #.

  5. #5cuttin edge2018-03-19 08:52

    Is that in CDN or US dollars?

  6. #6Metalman 552018-03-19 17:12

    I found another source where they are $15 CDN, so I ordered them. Thought that was good pricing.