Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New CAT paint is DTM – no primer??

Ct Farmer ยท 2018-09-28 16:33

Just went to the local Cat dealer to get paint and they no longer have primer and top coat - just a one shot direct to metal paint. Now, this would be easier and faster - but my experience with industrial DTM paints from other vendors has not been great. Despite intensive prep they didn't stick well or hold up to like I would expect a good paint to. I've always liked Cat paints and used them with great results on many machines but this has me worried about adhesion and longevity. Anyone use this new stuff and what do you think? Would you dare use an industrial primer under it? Thanks!

Replies5
  1. #1Ct Farmer2018-09-28 17:04

    so i went and read ALL the fine print on the can and it says ..."use of Cat primer will increase performance.." So this is the same paint by part number that needed primer this spring and now requires none according to the sale guy? I not that Cat primers appear to be discontinued. I am going to buy a good primer right now and spray it under this. If it need primer 6 months ago it needs it today.

  2. #2heymccall2018-09-28 19:24

    No idea who tells you this stuff? In an aerosol can, the 4C-4205 primer (yellow) is now 458-9582. Just bought some last week. Still sticks to just about anything. I think the number changed because suppliers changed. It used to be valspar. No idea who it is now. 4C-4200 aerosol top coat, gloss yellow, is now 458-9587, I think.

  3. #3Ct Farmer2018-09-28 19:40

    This is the gallon can 458-9626 Standard Performance Yellow Topcoat. Says topcoat on the can, says you could/should use primer on bare metal on label. No primer available unless you want aerosol cans then they have primer. Not repainting entire machines with spray cans. On another note - Volvo paint says you need primer, they don't have one, dealer says just get some some place. Paint says made by Sherwin-Williams. Stopped at the SW dealer I have a commercial account at and they have no idea what the paint is. Going to use PPG HBA series primers under all of it. works good and is tintable.

  4. #4heymccall2018-09-28 22:11

    Still available in gallons here. 458-9579, yellow primer, 1 gallon $47.11 Even in stock.

  5. #5Ct Farmer2018-09-29 10:06

    Yup, they don't show any in stock but can get it from another branch in a few days if I order it. I think the local dealer is really going down hill. The new parts guys just are not really with it. I've had great service in the past but the last few years the mistakes and errors are getting to be a pain. I see stuff like this and it makes me wonder about the rest of the place - like my oil sample test results.