Just started this job, site will be around 100x80 meters square and level when finished, it's hard to tell in the pictures but I have to cut 6 meters off the hill to fit the site in, as well as flattening that sharp Knob off you can see in the last pic, as there is a track going through where it is. Also have to build a 50x50x3 meter pond in the bottom of the dip shown in pic 1. My rough estimate reckons theres about 25,000 cu/m of dirt to shift, should keep me out of trouble for awhile!
those are great fotos. please continue to share. will that be all scraper work?
Thanks Colorado Digger, Am going to try to shift most of it with the guys 613 that he owns but having some issues with it at the moment, had low engine oil pressure and a slight knock so dropped the sump to check big end bearings and found two pistons have a piece broken off the bottom! was running good and not using much oil so just gonna chuck some big end bearings in it and pretend I never saw the pistons for now, don't know if this is a good idea or not?! After ordering parts for that scraper I went and got my one and proceeded with that until the diff started making funny noises so pulled that out and found it had been repaired before with a new piece welded in for one of the carrier bearings, the weld had failed and let the whole diff head flop around in there. Luckily there is no damage to the crown wheel or pinion. I'm also going to use my D6H to do some of the shorter pushing and so I can work when it's too slippery for the scraper.
Stage 1 complete. Just had to get the main part of the site done so the builders can start, now I can move on to making the effluent pond and tracks.
Here's some more progress photos. Had some dramas getting one of those broken off bolts out of the rear axle, ended up having to drill it right out and pic all the threads out, the other two came out easy as thankfully! Glad it's finally rained today as the dust was starting to get bad. 4th & 5th pics are the start of the effluent pond which is going to be 60 x 35 x 4 meters at the top with 2:1 batters, I have only dug it into the ground about half a meter and will be building the sides up with excess fill from the main site because the water table is quite high and I don't want it filling up underneath the liner.
Great photos seeing a 613 doing what it does best. Please keep them coming. Regards Alan
Good job and beautiful countryside. Thanks for sharing. Somewhere along the way you changed scrapers on us.
Yeah I started out with the one in the last pic then while I was waiting for the big end bearings to arrive for it I brought my scraper to the job so I could carry on, then the diff decided to try and lunch itself. I'm trying to find a second hand part for it as Cat want $3,500 but I have been too busy to get it sorted at the moment and the other scraper is going well now.
Great thread, nice pics and scenery.
Cow facilities keep an earthmover busy don't they? I have done some of those retention ponds for effluent before. Good compaction is essential to avoid a blowout. Saw one that happened to. What a mess to try to clean up.
Here's a few more pics. Had the elevator speed reducer decide to lunch itself, managed to get hold of another one, just had to get the broken off bolts out of it.
More photos. Here's a few more progress photos, got the pond done, just waiting on the guys to come and install the liner.
Some more photos. Pic 1 is of a tree that was burnt and buried by the Taupo eruption 1800 years ago. Pic 2 the three machines I have been alternating between. Pic 3 laying the underlay for the pond liner. Pic 4 welding the seams of the liner.
And more. Pic 1 laying pond liner. Pic 2 cowshed progress. Pic 3 pond liner almost complete, just have to finish welding and pressure test.
More photos. Been a while since I've put up any photos, so here goes, Pic 1, Just a cool pic of a little tornado. Pic 2, Lost 4th gear on the scraper, tested pump pressures which were all within specs except 4th, drained the oil and found a few goodies in the bottom. Pic 3, Removing said trans. Pic 4, Cowshed progress, portals up and platform taking shape. Pic 5, Effluent pond completed.
Pic 1, Decided to have a crack at fixing the trans myself. Pic 2, Clearing scrub off this bank so I can widen the track down below. Pic 3, Scrub slaughtered. Pic 4, Digging a bench so I can deal to it with the scraper, gotta love working with pumice. Pic 5, Found the problem with the trans, had a collapsed bearing at the front of the main shaft which damaged the oil feed to #6 clutch and caused it to slip and warp one of the clutch plates. I replaced #6 clutch pack and seals plus a few of the worst bearings, all the other clutch packs were good, (I advised the guy I'm working for who owns the scraper, that while we were in there we should replace all the bearings and seals to be sure but he wasn't keen) parts cost $950, got away with it pretty cheap I reckon. Going better than ever now.
Very nice work indeed! Nice pics! I was on a job in eastern Oregon- we built a huge water reservoir. That was about 10 years ago? I have to dig up pics now. I think less than 10 scrapers, huge hoes, and dozers! We had fun on that job!:notworthy Thanks, cat3208.
Nearly finished all the site work for the cowshed now just waiting on the builders to get out of the way so I can do a few finishing touches. Have also been busy doing a few other jobs around the farm. Pic 1, Some landscaping around a small workers house that has just been shifted on to the farm. Pic 2, View of the cowshed site as it is now. Pic 3, Track I'm making for the cows. Pic 4, Crossing that has to be widened. Pic 5, Trees and top soil cleared off a bank I have to cut through.
Is that big cutting in the last lot of photos the same as where you were clearing the bank with the digger ? at the top of the page ? Nice tidy work too. Brainzie
Sorry Brainzie, I've just seen your post. Yeah they are the same, took a fair few loads out of there that's for sure! Thanks for the compliment. Rob.
Few more pics. Pic 1, Making way for the scraper. Pic 2, Cut down as far as I'm gonna go for now, just leaving that small mound there till a later date when we need more fill to repair the tracks instead of moving it for nothing. Pic 3, Straightening the dent out of this old culvert so I can reuse it. Pic 4, Storms commin! (looking up the hill to new cowshed) Pic 5, Inside cowshed.
Pic 1, View from top of terrace that the track has to go down. Pic 2, Cutting a ramp for the scraper. Pic 3, Ready for scraper. Pic 4, Cutting a ramp for the scraper on another terrace at other end of track. Pic 5, Ramp ready, hope the scraper is feeling like eating some dirt!
That looks to be a bloody nice job to have/done. is it dairy conversion or upgrading a farm ?
It's a 5 year old forestry conversion that already has one cowshed on it and they are building a second plus a couple of new tracks to get round the farm better. Yeah it's a good job, plenty of variety and pumice! haha
Few more photos of my progress.
Last cutting for this track.