Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New D6T

dieseldave ยท 2008-06-21 22:26

For our Corps of engineers contract this year I was lucky enough to score this brand new D6T. I'ts a nice machine, but that D65 sitting next to it will eat it's lunch on a hard push. That D65 is the strongest I've ever run, I was surprised to find an 8.3 Cummins under the hood in place of the old 11 liter Komatsu.

Replies42
  1. #1dirt digger2008-06-21 22:57

    awesome...are you guys going to start pushing sand down there?

  2. #2D5G2008-06-21 23:00

    Nice Dozer...but its got too much paint on it!

  3. #3N.CarolinaDozer2008-06-21 23:15

    Here's my new D6T. I love it, had no problems out of mine.

  4. #4OilFieldHand2008-06-22 00:09

    Dieseldave: Nice machine, hide the pink paint tho!

  5. #5dieseldave2008-06-22 01:14

    No sand this year, we're pushing dredge spoils and building dike. The spoils are very fine with almost no abrasive qualities, so it's tough to get the paint off, but I'm doing my best:drinkup

  6. #6gxer982008-06-22 09:34

    very nice machine. Its hard to believe that D65 will out push the D6 though. I thought nothing could touch a CAT dozer. Thats good to know.

  7. #7DPete2008-06-22 10:24

    I was up close to this one the other day, they look big to me for a 6. Very nice machine, now all it needs is a parrelogram ripper instead of the hooked shank affair it has now.

  8. #8tdozer2008-06-22 22:06

    Where abouts are you working dave. HAAS Exc. has no work so i had to take a job in massachusetts. that looks like it would be a nice job to come home to.

  9. #9CAT D9H2008-06-22 23:18

    Those are some good looking Cats

  10. #10dieseldave2008-06-25 20:25

    We're down near Salem on the Delaware River. This contract is only 40 days, but if they ever get this channel dredging project going we'll have lots of work.

  11. #11D5G2008-06-25 20:35

    ahh no abrasive qualities....thats no fun LOL your keepin her in good shape thats all that matters in my opinion. Make em last.

  12. #12dieseldave2008-06-25 21:04

    I'm not washing and waxing it every day, but I keep it greased and I do keep the interior clean. No sense in tearing up a nice new machine. Here it is as of today- starting to show it's age at 50 hrs

  13. #13D5G2008-06-26 18:20

    Man, what an awesome machine!

  14. #14dirt digger2008-06-26 19:53

    dieseldave you might be in luck, i think i read the channel dredging just got approved to take it from 40 to 45 feet.....doesn't make sense to me, if they are going to be there anyway they might as well go deeper like they are doing up in NYC...i think up there they only need 45 feet but they are going to 100 to accommodate the future larger ships, i could be wrong

  15. #15dieseldave2008-06-26 21:00

    Yeah, I heard that, too. It's been in the works since 1983 LOL. But it seems that they're finally gettin' good and ready to go ahead and do it ointhead. 5 foot depth, 400 to 1000 ft width, 102 miles, comes out to 36 million yards or something like that. Should keep us busy for a while:drinkup

  16. #16OilFieldHand2008-06-26 23:42

    36 million yards! and where does all that dirt go?

  17. #17Dozer5752008-06-26 23:51

    Part of the problem is the wide track. Thats why the Komatsu will out push it. If that is the kinda ground you work in, and the size jobs you do. You should have got a larger Komatsu instead of that D6.

  18. #18Deas Plant2008-06-27 03:55

    Read the posts. Hello, Dozer575. May I suggest that you go back and re-read the posts above? That D6T is pretty much what I would have ordered too if I was going to be pushing dredged material around, especially if it was fine-grained material as described above. As has so often been the case in the past, your post shows your bias and your lack of real knowledge. And once again I would ask, "Where are your photos?"

  19. #19biggixxerjim2008-06-27 19:37

    Can we get dozer schmuck banned finally?? PLease??

  20. #20D5G2008-06-27 19:53

    Ah, no, I don't think so. When you put out that much money for a machine, your gonna know what you need and what you want IMHO.

  21. #21dieseldave2008-06-27 22:02

    No, no, I don't want to be banned! LOL Seriously, a D6 or D65 or 850 Deere is the biggest machine that is effective in the spoils. The Corps tried D7's years ago- didn't work out. The dirt goes into a "spoils removal area". The one we're working in now is about a mile across, the excavator in the first picture is about halfway across from where I am on the outside. THe second pic is taken from the other side of the site, the three towers in the upper left are all inside the area. There are 6 or 7 of these "areas" along the river, some smaller, some bigger.

  22. #22dieseldave2008-06-27 22:05

    second pic didn't load because I posted it elsewhere on the BB- anyway, you get the idea :cool2

  23. #23digger242j2008-06-29 10:57

    You could try changing the title of it, and see if the software is smart enough to recognize it, or you could post a link to where it is. (If you click on the post #, that single post will open in a new window, and you can link to that.)

  24. #24dieseldave2008-07-01 21:03

    Welcome to Delaware "Welcome to Delaware" is what the sign used to say before the hoodlums got to it. The dividing line between Jersey and Delaware was the middle of the river, and this is where the middle of the river was back in the day. The second pic (taken from the same spot) shows where it is now.

  25. #25dieseldave2008-07-01 21:06

    Forgot the pics ointhead

  26. #26leverpuller2009-02-09 19:54

    Have you d6k man they are nice shaker blades gbs for grading

  27. #27PonyExpress942009-02-09 20:49

    Hey dieseldave, is this picture by chance in the area of Marcus Hook on the PA side or near Salem Nuclear Power Plant on the Jersey side? The reason I ask is because my primary line of work is as an engineer on a 4200 horsepower tugboat and my company has their main dock on the Schuylkill River and I sail all the way down the Delaware River to head out to the ocean and go up the coast to New York. Just wondering so I can look out for you and watch the work as I go by. That is a beautiful looking D6 by the way, you're a lucky man to run a brand new machine like that.

  28. #28637slayer2009-02-09 21:04

    nice machines :thumbsup good to hear people buying new machines and working them.

  29. #29dieseldave2009-02-09 22:14

    It's on the Jersey side, right behind Ft Mott. What color is your tug, so I'll know to wave when you go by?:waving What kind of engines? I'm assuming 2 at 2100hp apiece? The last tug we worked with (he was moving barges for us at Ft Miflin) had a pair of 2000hp MTU's if I remember right. Very true regarding the new machine, it's a real treat to run something that no one has screwed up yet. A few years ago, again at a job at Ft Mott I lucked into a brand new JD 850C. That was a real sweetheart.

  30. #30PonyExpress942009-02-09 23:11

    Dave, Fort Mott is across from Delaware City right? We got to Del City to load the barge quite often. Yeah the boat is running twin Cat 3516B's (V-16's detuned to 2100 hp each) and the boat is white with a green stripe and a big blue "V" on the exhaust stacks. My boat is the "Potomac" and she runs with a 50,000 barrel (yes, barrels which =2,100,000 gallons) full of diesel fuel. The boat was delivered in September of 07 and the main engines already have 6,500 hours on them. You seem to have a knack for getting new equipment as the 850 is pretty sweet too. Have fun with 'em and see you on the banks of the Delaware River!!!! By the way I love the quote in your signature, that is one of my all time favorite movies. Patrick

  31. #31Rookie2009-02-13 11:55

    D6T - Production? I was thinking of using a D6T dozer to strip 16 acres of land. The top soil is about 6-9 inches in depth and the cut and fill quantity is about 20,000 tonnes. Does anybody have ANY idea how long this would take using one D6T dozer? I NEED HELP!!!! Thanks in advance

  32. #32AtlasRob2009-02-13 14:39

    Sorry not an answer, More questions! Has the topsoil got to go only one way or can it go to all four sides, is the area square ( probably not) what is the average distance you are going to move the topsoil? Has it all got to be stripped before you fill? Is topsoil to go back on after ? Before you answer I forsee a lot of wear and diesel being drunk Why the D6T ? :drinkup

  33. #33Rookie2009-02-13 14:48

    AtlasRob, Thanks for the response. The soil will go to all four sides to create a birm (and we will not respread it afterwards). The average distance we are moving the soil is 100 metres. Yes, all of the soil has to be stripped before we start the cut and fill process. No real reason for using the D6T (I don't have a lot of experience with dozers and assumed this was the minimum size for this size of a project). Any other suggestions? Thanks

  34. #34JimBruce422009-02-13 16:09

    I have a question too, lol. Do you have a time line to get it done by? 100 metres is probably pushing it (sorry, no pun intended) on your push distance for a D6, but as long as time isn't too much of an issue I don't think it would be too hard on the dozer. Is there any heavy ripping/rock on the job? Just how deep is the cuts/fills?

  35. #35Rookie2009-02-13 16:28

    We would like to complete it within 2 months....do you think it would be more cost effective to go with something larger? The cut and fills vary but I would guess maximum they are 3 to 5 feet. No rock ripping on site.

  36. #36JimBruce422009-02-13 20:04

    2 months to strip 16 acres and push 20,000 tonnes (not sure how much that translates too in yards)... I don't see it being too much for a 6 to handle. If you get there and it looks like it's getting a little much, maybe a second 6 would help. Two D6's would let you split up the work between stripping and cut/fill work...

  37. #37Panhandler Bob2009-02-16 22:35

    diseldave, ever been around waste management site tullytown,pa.? worked there a few times 03-05 for national earth services outta lancaster,pa. loadin dredge outta what they called money island, right on the river. panhandler bob

  38. #38grunk362009-02-16 23:43

    i has answered this question in another thread youve made "D6T production help"

  39. #39dieseldave2009-02-17 12:39

    Bob, I was never to Tullytown but I've heard the corps guys talk about it. I've worked at Ft Mott, Pedricktown (north and south), Ft Miflin, and 12th st in Delaware. Was there anyone from the corps working there with you?

  40. #40leverpuller2009-02-17 20:38

    hey dieseldave I won't to have some fun with them awesome DON'T FORGET about me

  41. #41Panhandler Bob2009-02-17 22:59

    Dave, When I was there last there was a guy named Mike, dozer hand, real graveley voice on the C.B. Only got to talk to him on the radio sometimes, runnin different channels. Also our start & quit times where different. I think he was from Jeresy, can not remember the local. He had different hours than the landfill also. Guessin he worked for the corp. He was always cool with me, called me " ol skool". :drinku Bob

  42. #42dieseldave2009-02-17 23:18

    I'm pretty sure who it is from your description. Mike's probably my favorite corps operator to work with. He was the "boss" on our last contract, super guy to work for :drinkup