I was given a Deere 550G if I can move it. Final drive went down was taken apart and was a little to much for the owner. All that is there is the housing question is can I put a used axle and bearings in the housing without all the gears just to get it on the trailer. If not I'll have to part it where its at and I don't like snakes. any ideas.
Of course you can! Does it start, the 550G is a good machine. This one just needs a little TLC.
I hate snakes and to be honest, I'm terrified of them. First thing that I'd do is clean out the area with a weed eater real good. Then through out a few bags of moth balls. I've been told that snakes don't like them, and since they are cheap, I'd be very generous with them. How are you going to get it onto the trailer? Can you build a ramp out of 4x6's? Instead of messing around with a temporary axle. I'd just buy two dozen or so 4x6's and use half for the ramp and the other have for cribbing to support it so that you can drag the entire thing onto the trailer. You'll also have to get at least one good 20 ton hydraulic jack, but if you plan on rebuilding it, you'll need the jack anyway. Same thing with the 4x6's to get it into the air so that you can work on it when you get it home. My dozer weighs almost 40,000 pounds and that's how I've done it when I had to get it up in the air both to replace a track that came off and to run it without a load when I replaced my drive pump and motor. For free, you have a heck of a project. One I'd take on in a heartbeat!!!!!! Congrats, Eddie
Let me know if you are going to part it out cause i will buy that winch off of you and the engine and everything else on it should go fast b'c there is still a crap load of those things still around. J
not for sure what i'm going to do with it yet. still got to get it moved. maybe I will take some pics of where its setting and you can see why nobody else has attempted this machine. could take a week to get it out my little John wan't attempt it and the Case is getting new tracks. Kinda wanted to find a final drive someone quoted rebuilt at 5,800 bucks more than I will put in this. Engine ran three years ago dummy took off the air cleaner and exhaust elbow and didn't cover it soooo its full of water. Probably end up parting it I'll let you know in a month or so.