Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New dozer

Dapollack36 · 2020-12-08 17:20

I need y’all opinion, I’m looking to purchase this 83 D6D, I need to clean up about 30 acres from a logging job. I assume this is the tractor I need, my question is, what do I need to look for on this machine? It’s priced at $39, is that a good price? Thank you

Replies26
  1. #1DB22020-12-08 17:39

    Undercarriage really determines the value. Get someone with knowledge to inspect it.

  2. #2Dapollack362020-12-08 18:05

    Here’s the undercarriage, it’s from their site, I apologize they aren’t any better shots.

  3. #3Dapollack362020-12-08 18:06

    Sorry, here’s one more.

  4. #4DB22020-12-08 18:32

    Looks decent but again you need someone who knows how to measure percentage of wear. To get an independent inspection is money well spent in my opinion. Some dealers will even do an undercarriage appraisal for free.

  5. #5Dapollack362020-12-08 18:55

    Am I overdoing it with a D6 or should I look for something smaller?

  6. #6DB22020-12-08 18:58

    Well that depends on what kind of work you intend to do.

  7. #7Dapollack362020-12-08 19:04

    I need to clean up about 30+ acres that we had logged a few years ago and plant it for pasture

  8. #8Mother Deuce2020-12-08 19:20

    I bought a D6C for managing dumps. Mine was a gray market machine that was freshened up for resale by one of large machine wholesalers in Japan... Kanto Tractor is where mine came from. If I remember the name correctly. Dealers buy them there and ship them here for resale. The undercarriage of mine was repainted like yours and showed that scale that I thought was caused by running in the salt. Mine was a pyramid pad machine and never gave me any problem undercarriage wise. Yet that corrosion was still there on the idler and frame surfaces. Inspect that basement well!

  9. #9Dapollack362020-12-08 19:26

    4X09048 That’s the serial number I could find

  10. #10Nige2020-12-08 19:40

    4X9048 is a D6D, built 13th June 1982. Maybe sat in a dealer's stock and not sold until 1983.

  11. #11D6c10K2020-12-08 20:05

    You can log onto Machinery Trader, or some other sites and get recent auction results, although that will be lower than asking price on dealer lot. $39k seem like the high end unless it's very nice. You can't tell much about undercarriage without inspecting it. Unless you can look the machine over and test drive it I'd walk away. Many possible problems on equipment of that age.

  12. #12Bls repair2020-12-08 20:49

    What kind of shape did they leave it in . Stumps, branches,broken up trees ,scrub piles ,holes,etc.

  13. #13Bls repair2020-12-08 20:52

    Paint jobs scare me ,what are they trying to hide

  14. #14DB22020-12-08 20:56

    Fuel tank is pretty beat up. Or is that a guard? Hard to tell from the photo.

  15. #15Dapollack362020-12-08 21:29

    Bls repair, yes that’s how the loggers left it. And I was gonna pay a dozer mechanic to go and inspect it.

  16. #16.RC.2020-12-08 22:06

    Cannot say I have seen corrosion on vertical surfaces like that on push arms or idlers. Makes me wonder what it looks like where you can not see it. For US prices where dozers seem to be a dime a dozen it seems a bit high.

  17. #17Bls repair2020-12-08 22:22

    The dents may be from a winch on the back of the machine

  18. #18DB22020-12-08 22:29

    True. The rest of the machine doesn’t seem too bent up.

  19. #19lantraxco2020-12-08 22:32

    D6 would be the right size in my opinion. Tons of rust at one time. SALT tracks look decent, pads look decent, the right track is oddly stiff as a board which is a little concerning, note how it's humped up over the carrier rollers, where the left side looks normal and sags a bit there. Winch is mounted and is a must in my view. See how it runs out, pay a dealer mechanic to do a full inspection and oil samples if you can, then decide what to offer. The only D model I ever worked on much had several issues over time with the torque, everything else was literally bulletproof. YMMV

  20. #20Trakwork2020-12-09 01:37

    Looks like a nice tractor. Has good sprocket teeth, grousers , they probably put a new paint on it to get that 39K that's.. high end. So long as the drives, transmission and power train check out buy it.

  21. #21skyking12020-12-09 02:19

    I don't see anything wrong with it, but from the sounds of your job I'd try to find one that had the rake with it. JMO, maybe rakes are easy to come by. I know clearing 30 acres after logging a rake is priceless.

  22. #22Welder Dave2020-12-09 11:40

    It looks like it may have had a pin on rake at some point. Get that thrown in the deal if everything else checks out.

  23. #23John Canfield2020-12-09 18:55

    Spray can overhaul. My former Komatsu D39P-1 was repainted (construction firm auction) but they did a great job and the dozer was in very good mechanical condition but only 1800 hours on it.

  24. #24Dave Neubert2020-12-10 08:45

    What size are the trees if there are some larger ones you would be better off using a excavator

  25. #25old-iron-habit2020-12-11 22:22

    By the amount of adjustment left looking at the front idler I'd make a wager that the undercarriage measures out at about 50 percent. As said before its money well spent to have it measured. You start getting sideways pin slop in the rails and it gets easy to throw a track when clearing land.

  26. #26John C.2020-12-12 13:12

    The chains are SALT and from the idler position, there are likely to be dry links in the chains. The tight right side track many times can be from a recoil spring cage rod being broken. The photos aren't good enough for detail on the rest of the bottom end. I always consider the three major issues of dozers. Engine, drive train and undercarriage. On a machine that old, problems with any single item will be a no deal. Stall testing the torque converter will give a decent read of the engine and torque converter. Paint hides lots of leaks for awhile so run the machine for at least an hour to give time for some of them to show. Any leaks on either side of the sprocket are a deal killer. Brake adjustment and steering operation many times will show at least some understanding by the current owner of the maintenance and adjustments necessary to keep the machine running properly.