Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1964 D7e finals leaking

fullchoke ยท 2020-12-08 09:06

Hello, There is one for sale near me that looks like a good machine. The finals on each side seep oil along the bottom row of bolts. My description of the leak may tell you that I know next to nothing about dozers. The oil fill/level check plugs appear to have not been opened in a long time as they are caked full of very old dirt. One of the few things I do know is that repairs are very expensive. How much concern is there on this type of leak? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1sled dog2020-12-08 09:48

    Check the final oil level, a little low it's no big deal. If it's dry you might want to think no. As far as a leak goes, that's nothing. Just a seep. Also. give us a serial number, and more pictures. Sprockets, rails, idlers. Pony or direct start, power shift or direct drive? Asking price?

  2. #256wrench2020-12-08 10:12

    looks like it could be a leaking copper gasket around the drain plug in that picture although i would never be that lucky. is the other side the same or is it leaking down from the sprocket seal area?

  3. #3fullchoke2020-12-08 10:21

    The other side is the same. Neither side has had the oil level checked in a long time. It might be seeping from above but not dripping.

  4. #4epirbalex2020-12-08 15:45

    If the oil plug had recently been removed and the oil levels high I'd suspect that it was done just for the sale , if they don't mind you could drain each side and check for broken bits , the older the oil is the easier it is to determine if the finals are sound .

  5. #5lantraxco2020-12-08 22:50

    Old CAT finals leak oil, fact of life. If it's easy, fix it, if it's not just keep the oil level up, Check everything once a week, front to back, engine, torque if it has one, transmission, hydraulic unit, finals, winch. Pay attention to how the steering clutches release and hook back up, I seem to recall they were a weak point. Same with the transmission, slowly work all the gears and get a feel for how they hook up, and don't be in a hurry shifting gears, it's old tech, rev it up, shift, wait until it's happy and revved back up, shift, wait, etc. Same going down, one click at a time and wait until it's stable. It's a bulldozer not a Honda civic. I may be off a letter, outfit I worked for had an E or an F, can't be sure now. 65,000 pounds I think, U blade and winch.