Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Dump Truck Tranny ?

daverd4 ยท 2012-03-20 15:31

I need a little help I found a really nice low mile 1981 Ford 8000 single axle Dump Truck Cat 3208 non turbo (not my first choice) but its a factory reman with 27,000 mile on it. The only problem with the truck is the Tranny. It's a 5 speed with 2 speed rearend the Tranny pops out of 3 gear when you let of the trottle. Not sure what it will cost to fix that would I be better off to spend the money and upgrade the tranny to say a 9 sp or something else. What will fit in this truck without major change like a unbolt and bolt change over. I know the driveline would need changed but I have a buddy that does that for a living. Thanks David

Replies12
  1. #1d9gdon2012-03-20 22:08

    I'm not going to make friends on this post, but there's a reason that low mileage truck has a factory reman in it in the first place and that's because that 3208 Cat engine is a piece of junk from day 1. You will be working on the engine way before that transmission finally gives it up. I have been around 7 or 8 in different applications from farm tractor, fertilizer application trucks, dump truck, stake truck, water truck, soil compactor, and generator that has disgusted and disappointed me. They are famous for being a throw away engine. I just came by a really nice 1989 dump truck on my way home at my neighbors house that doesn't have 150,000 miles on it that has its third 3208 sitting in it, blown up again. Damn a 3208. Worst engine ever made, by anybody. Find an old Mack with Mack engine, Mack transmission, and Mack rear ends, you can't tear them up.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2012-03-20 22:23

    I'm afraid I have to agree with d9gdon. The only place I've seen a 3208 survive is in 225 excavator where it ran at a steady speed. The yard switcher where I worked for 20 years blew up annually until they bought one with a 5.9 Cummins in it. Every fire truck that had one in it where I volunteer blew them up too, and none of those trucks had 10,000 miles on them. The things smoke so bad they burn your eyes and are gutless, I'm really surprised such a piece of junk carries the Caterpillar name.

  3. #3excavator2012-03-20 23:01

    Drive a 3208 "Sensibly" and it will last just fine. Don't lug it and do not over rev it! Yes, it's not the best motor ever built but many have made it to 200,000- 300,000 miles. Do you have air or hydraulic brakes? Without air you can't do more than a 6 speed. Depending on what you're going to use it for, I'd either fix what you have or find another used 5 speed to replace it with. D9gdon, I think the 8.2 Detroit has the distinction of being worse that the 3208.

  4. #4d9gdon2012-03-21 07:34

    excavator, They're both junk. Had to be some industrial espionage going on there between Cat and GM for them to burn your eyes from the smoke so bad, or to suddenly blow up without reason. I never knew if that was tears from the smoke or from crying over ever having bought one.

  5. #5daverd42012-03-21 10:26

    Ok so tell me how you really feel.LOL I'm only going to put about 1000 mile a year on this truck thats why I thought I'd get away with the 3208 not going to try and make any money or a living off it just my onm use. It does have air brakes so a RT 6609 might work I was just thinking with more gears it wouldn't be so gutless.What about putting a Turbo on it would that shorten the life even more? That would cut down on the smoke. I've been an O/O for 29 years so I won't abuse it like some people would when you pay the repair bill you learn to drive a little better. I have a little gravel and fill dirt to haul to a cabin were building. Its hard to find someone in the Dump Truck business that will work on weekend when I have the time.

  6. #6sl34062012-03-21 15:10

    I agree with this post. I have a customer that I haul gravel for that owns a 1980 Ford single axle dump truck that sounds identical to what you're looking at. It had a reman 3208 in it when he bought it 10+ years ago, and he hasn't had any trouble with it. He is an older guy that just babies his truck around. If you're the type to drive wide open everywhere you go then it may not work for you.

  7. #7grandpa2012-03-21 20:28

    RT 610 will work good with that 3208

  8. #8580bruce2012-03-21 20:43

    I drove two different 5 yarders for an employer of mine, on and off for about 5 years. One had an 1160 the other a 3208.Neither was a ball of fire,but in my time there the 3208 was replaced twice.Both trucks did the same work,hauling,moving equipment ect.That little 1160 always ran great.The 3208s just never seemed to run well.Both trucks were mated to an allison,just punch and go!

  9. #9d9gdon2012-03-21 20:52

    Uh huh, I was the one payin' for it, drivin' it, and workin' on it. Get two of them while the economy is bad, you'll get a great deal. This of course is just my opinion. Maybe they last differently in a cooler climate. Good luck.

  10. #10CRAFT2012-03-22 00:36

    Mine was a short a** yard donkey .... it has only 175k on it but has a bazillion hrs on the original motor .... it's an '81 L8000 with a 9510 old school tranny 5 lo split and 5 hi no over drive, 10th is direct ...... they're cheap, tough and will bolt straight in there ............ not going to bother to make any comment on the negative reports..... of all the engines i've run over the years, as long as you have good batteries and fuel no matter HOW COLD it is that 3208 will start when nothing else will ..... they love rpm but hate lugging .... jmho

  11. #11DGODGR2012-03-22 01:08

    My first truck was an '81 Chevy Kodiak 2x flat bed dump. It had a 3208 with a 10 spd behind it. The truck pulled my Ziemann 10 ton trailer with my 416B, and then C, behind it. Backhoe weight was 18,000 plus the trailer. The 3208 was non-turbo so HP was not it's strong suit. It certainly showed you where the slightest inclines were (just in case you might be driving along and wondering ) but it never let me down. I had the truck for 2 years and sold it for twice what I bought it for.

  12. #12daverd42012-03-22 10:46

    Thanks for all the input everyone good and bad. I have a 3406E in my Peterbilt which likes lower rpms so that would be a real change.