Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New excavation business equipment selection

Ridgecm ยท 2015-08-26 13:58

Hi I am new to the forum. I live in central NJ and I have been trying to grow my excavation business over the past few years. I currently own a used cat 289c with a 4in1 bucket, flail mower, forks, and gp bucket. I just bought a used f750 hook lift. I also own a 12 ton econoline deck over trailer, and a 7 ton drop deck trailer. I currently do mainly small excavation and drainage projects with a rented 5 ton excavator. I would like to grow the business to include doing septic,foundations,and additions. I would like your opinions on what size excavator would be best for my business. I know the 5 ton capacity and what I can do with it pretty well. Thanks in advance.

Replies4
  1. #1Ridgecm2015-08-26 14:01

    Do you think I should look into 8 ton and larger or stick with the 5 and rent larger when needed?

  2. #2movindirt2015-08-26 20:54

    Depends on if you are ever planning on growing into a 12 or 15 ton size machine, because what you will find with a 8 ton machine is that it is too big to fit into most "mini" excavator jobs, and yet its too small to dig a basement efficiently. I would probably get a 5/6 ton machine and then a 12/15 ton size should the work load demand it.

  3. #3Skinincats2015-08-26 23:45

    I have been down this road before, started off doing small jobs with small machines 8 years ago. Now have 2 challengers, double pans 3 dozers 3 excavators and 3 trucks. Once you go bigger it's a steady spiral of upsizing . if that's not what you want, keep your equipment sized the same to support each other. Bigger excavator means bigger trailer, truck, then loader to keep up.

  4. #4ShaneK2015-09-01 12:20

    I too appreciate the scraper pans for excavating, and would recommend it as a single operator can pick-up, transport, and eject the material to a desired location.