I picked up a Ford 4500 today. It doesn't start without ether. The previous owner said I needed a manifold heater to start it without the ether. I bought one, but I'm not sure how to install it. I assume it screws into the manifold and a wire runs from the ignition switch to it. There is a threaded portion on the end that wasn't mentioned in my discussion with the last owner. A little research says that fuel should come through this hole, but I can't find out what the source of that fuel is. I don't see any disconnected hoses dangling anywhere. I have the manuals being delivered this week, but would like to get ahead of the game if possible. Can anyone tell me where it gets connected?
Welcome aboard. Well I am more of a diesel tinkerer than a wrencher, but ether should never really be need as the only way to start a diesel. They run on such compression that essentially the air super heats and the fuel injected ignites, The manifold heater is a pre-heater "glow plug" that a small amount of fuel drips onto and pre-heats the incoming air, when the ambient temperature are too low for the air to get hot enough to do this. Ether robs the engine of all the fuels lubrication properties and with the manifold heater you could actually cause some engine damage. I had to only once this winter ether pop my Ford/New Holland 655 at that was at -25deg. I made sure not to use the pre-heat when I started it. This all being said, I would start with a compression test, and if that passes then I would say the valves would most likely need attention.
the thermostat heater goes in the intake manifold,,,will need a wire run to it from a switch or a push button... fuel will fed from a tee and a tube you will install in the fuel return to tank,,,,,, with tube standing full of fuel the heater will remain closed until switch the power to it, then will the heater get hot and open feeding fuel and flame into engine, during this time you be cranking engine over, hope you have a threaded connection for heater GL
Yes, usually the fuel that feeds the thermostart comes from the "return" line. There is a small ball bearing in the thermostart that opens up when its heated, (when you push a button to give it power ), this lets the fuel drip and ignite. You can "google" Thermostart and how they work and see videos on youtube.
hooked, think I read that information before!!!!!
I'm trying to figure out how the thermostart is connected to the fuel source. I have yet to see a picture of how it is on the tractor. In the parts diagram, it looks like it connect to a reservoir. What I think is the reservoir sit on the opposite side of the engine, and below the manifold. I thought the thermostart was gravity fed. I'm also going to try changing out the battery. It currently has a car battery. I'm putting in a 4DLT from Carquest. Once I get someone to help me lug it into the woods, I'll get it installed and see what happens.
After a few days of monkeying around with the tractor, I've discovered that my generator is putting out a whopping 2 volts. New one should be here Thurs. I also found out there is a thermostart already installed. It's not where the previous owner told me it would go, which caused my confusion. So, what is with the bolt on the outside of the intake manifold? I changed the oil and filter, changed the fuel filters, and filled the hydraulics. Hoping to have the battery recharged by tomorrow so I can see if it will start using the thermostart instead of starting fluid.
Yes the thermostarts do ideally need some sort of reservoir to feed them. Without one it will only work when the engine is cranking and the lift pump is making pressure. By the way, do you have an inline fuel pump or a DPA? If it's an inline type you might have an excess fuel button on the pump for cold starting.