Just a rant, but why is it so many vids on Youtube regarding Case Backhoes often show them with the backhoe boom out of transport lock, especially The auction videos. One would think these guys would be task trained on how to lock an over-center boom (not that hard). Rant over, I just think Case hoes look so goofy with the boom out of transport lock.:Banghead
Not all Case backhoes have an overcenter transport lock. It depends on what models you were looking at.
Tinkerer, Sorry to hijack your post but I'm not sure how to use this site anymore. Want to thank you for your message. 1967 580CK is alive & in occasional use here in TN. I've been perusing the site trying to figure out how to contact you & I've been reading some comments. Had forgotten how much fun this forum can be. I can tell anyone in the world truthfully that my old junk would never have run again had it not been for folks like you & many others that offered advice and support on this forum. Good to hear from you. I'll try to monitor the forum more often. My hoe still needs lots of work but at least it's functional. packratc
I mainly look at K's-N's, not so much CK's, OG 580's, nor B's. I know the over center hoe has been on at least C's and newer for the 580's/590's. Sorry for not being specific.
My 580K makes quite the bang when placed in transport lock. I sometimes skip it because the bang seems like it would be worse for the machine than travelling a little ways with the hoe looking stupid.
They don't bang if done right .Its all in the timing . It took me a few outings with the hoe , but I have it down to a click.
The rubber cushion may be gone on bottom of the boom. The utility company here knew that to make a Case operator look ok they had to put Case controls on a Deere.
We've had Case backhoes since the C models up to the L and I have rented M's , they all were over center. I can't say about the N. Like was mentioned before , once you get the hang of it , it clicks in real smooth. On edit : I remember having an old CK with the 2 seats on it in 1977. My dads first backhoe. I can't remember if it was over center , I was only 4 1/2 at the time.
Ok, if you want to put the boom in transport but don't want it to bang, try this until you get it right. First, lower your rpm's, you don't need to run your engine at 2000 rpm's to snap it into transport. As you bring the boom up and it reaches the point that you reverse your boom lever, feather the boom lever instead of continuing to use full force. Do this a few times and once you get it right your boom will gently fall into transport (most times). Sorry if I didn't explain this clearly but once you get this method down you'll like it. Plus it's better for your machine.
Must be getting hot in Tucson What is point of the transport lock anyway? Not all Cases have them or any other brand of backhoe as far as I know.
Blueboy, Interesting, I've never owned a Case without a transport lock (580B, 580 SE, 580 SK and 580 SL). There are actually three transport locks, one to keep the boom from bleeding down and lowering the boom, one to keep the extendahoe from bleeding down and the third is to keep the boom from shifting sideways. The term "transport" doesn't only apply to when you're using a truck and/or trailer to move from site to site. During that process most operators lower their bucket to the trailer or truck deck and chain it down. But when you're moving spoils or material, "roading" your equipment to another site or simply operating the tractor it limits the bleed off and keeps the boom centered so it doesn't accidentally strike something or some one.
Transport position for the hoe gives it better road manners instead of porpoising at speed. It also keeps the pressure off the boom seals.
Not hot enough, lol. Consistant 80's but not enough 90's. Im ready for triple digits. Anyways, Cases indeed have transport locks on all their over center hoes from at least the 580C and up. All Cat hoes have transport locks from the original 416 and up. Again this doesnt relate to old scool hoes or small scale backhoes. This is exactly what the doctor ordered, you guys are awesome and thank you.
Heres a pic comparison between locked and unlocked Case hoe's. Top one is a numb nut who decided to leave it improperly unlocked, bottom pic is a properly locked hoe. Both are Case 580L's.