My 1700 watt Champion propane had died with about 800 hours on it, so last winter I bought a 4k. Used it a couple times, was pizzed thinking there was something wrong with the regulator because it was never running when I came back. It's currently running a sump pump in a new basement I dug, and had quit numerous times. We are 100% convinced it's the ******* carbon monoxide safety shutdown. Why in the hell do we have to deal with this crap?? It's sitting OUTSIDE, in the middle of fricking nowhere. Please tell me that the CO monitor can be bypassed or eliminated, because I'm ready to set it on fire.
I know, right? You have to bypass those things immediately. Most idiotic, nanny-state, frustrating, worthless device ever. Plus, the sensors only last a couple years.
My somewhat new to me Generac, which I would have sworn to have a plastic gas tank, rusted out in the middle and developed a crack in a seam. Still looked like black plastic but was metal. Only had for 4 years and has about 50 hours on it. Adapted a cheap ( 20 bucks) China plastic tank, welded on new brackets and now runs again.
My 8k champion battery ran down. Would not start with recoil. Found it had shut off on gas and would not work with dead battery. Disabled and all good.
All that Chinese junk is worthless. Buy a Honda or nothing at all. Old and used is fine if you don't want new.
Honda doesn't make a small, propane one that I've found?? I need to be able to run generators for days at a time, a 250 gallon propane tank will run one for a LONG time
Honda made a propane one once upon a time but discontinued it. Like 20 years ago. All that are propane now are Chinese gimmicks. You can have all the gimmicks you want but if the base engine and generator are junk it's no use as you are discovering. You used to be able to buy Honda generators already converted to propane by some guy, good luck on warranty though. They also make kits to DIY, it is easy to do.
Also the 1 quart of splash lube oil needs to be checked a couple of times per day
It gets checked every day, and changed every 4 days. Doesn't use any oil, remarkably. If I could just get rid of that ******* CO shutdown. My last one made 800 hours, I need to look it over, it just lost spark, could just be a coil...
Getting ready for cold weather? Just curious if you have thought about bumping up in size to get a little bit more industrial generator. Something like a old light plant, or we've got two old genset from cell tower sites, I think they are propane inline six fords. Used to work around a company that had some tiny trailer mounted whisperwatt, multiquip generators/ welders and they seemed pretty good. Most of the big class A motorhomes have a propane generator (mostly see Onan's)- find one out of a junkyard. Or one with a bad roof that someone is parting out. Got to be better than the northern tool/ harbor freight specials.
I have a couple of 3k onans out of RVs. They are 120v only. I wonder if with the right transformer if they could make 240v to run pump.
Winco runs Hondas in their Tri-fuel portable units and still keep the Honda warranty. It's a buy once, cry once situation though (although it is almost $900 cheaper for Labor Day weekend). Winco HPS12000HE Tri-Fuel Portable Generator - Winco Generators - Agricultural, Commercial, Contractor & Residential This unit was built with versatility in mind. It is the only Tri-Fuel capable, Honda-powered generator on the market that DOES NOT void the engine warranty. It’s constructed with the same engine and generator end we use on our Industrial WL12000HE. Don't rely on a modified generator to have the... www.wincogenerator.com
It's currently running a sump pump for a new basement on a property without power yet.
I’m sure overriding the co2 monitoring shouldn’t be a big deal it probably just grounds the coil
Problem is there are at least 5 different wires going to that module, 3 of the same color, so without cutting one at a time and trying, it could be a major experience figuring out which one. I've found a few videos, and it seems like different models have different colors, and I haven't found a video for my specific model.
How about taping off the port on the sensor
Might try that.
What would a coal miner do with a fauty co that keeps kicking ?????? Toss a bag of rock dust on top it so it dont read!!!!!! Dont let the fed see it!
Diesel light towers are great if you can find one.
I want one, but $8000 isn't in the budget to have one, it's the very reason I'm hauling around a propane tank, and running a $700 generator.
$2,500-3,500 will buy most used light plants by me. Not cheap, but more likely to run all night than a $600 chinese generator.
An 8k one? To be useful for me, it needs to be more than 4k.
Heres mine a 8kw northernlights bough gov surplus has 18 hours on it.
I honestly don't have any idea what they are rated for. I would think at least 5k, but I've never looked for a tag on one.
They are usually 4k to 7k and a lot of them have 3 cylinder Kubota engines. Around here they want 3 to 5k for one that’s clapped out. The engines are worth more for small to midsize skid steer swaps and therefore bring stupid money.
Like Harley said, 4k to 7.5k. I'd need a 7500, three block heaters are too much for 4k.
Depends on the market you are in. Start looking and just buy one when you find one at the right price. I don't think the engines are useful in a skid steer, light towers are usually 1-1.5 liter 3 cylinders and skid steers are more like 2 liter 4 cylinders but maybe there are tiny ones?
Nice shop! I like that Bridgeport Series I. Used mine today.